Search This Blog

Monday, July 9, 2018

So far a cool July but the heat is coming!

I spent some time with my  mom last week.  She has gangrene in one of her feet and needed an ultrasound and xray before returning to the lower limb clinic to see about treatment.  Next time I do this, I need to take my knitting to work on.  Working a binding a quilt is too bulky and cumbersome and not fair to sit and read while with mom so have a plan!  Knitting project will get organized and ready for the next visit.

I have my July and August blocks made for the Quilter's Planner challenge. I want to be finished the blocks by early October so I don't have to drag my fabric supplies back down south with me and then bring home the blocks to finish here.  Why not just get ahead of the game?

This second block was paper pieced and even though I was sure I had measured the little box that said 1" and it was.... well, it wasn't and my bottom block is 1/2" too small.  But am not worried as all these blocks get surrounded by a sashing and will have to cut the fabric an extra ½" wider to allow for the smaller block and only you and I will know!
And fresh raspberries along with a lovely bowl of blueberries.  Picked from my buddy's house and no pesticides or chemicals so no washing of the fruit.  Yum!  
I have this quilt finished.  This was a Craftsy kit from last fall that I purchased on sale and was a quick and easy way to use up strips of fabric.  I added to the kit to get this to the appropriate size for a donation quilt.  Bright and happy!

And Yippee!!  My village quilt is bound and ready for the washing machine.  I want to sleep under this and so will wash to remove any chemicals in the fabric.  No, I do not prewash before cutting and all these houses were from my scaps buckets as well as the scrap table at the Langley quilt show and a scrap bucket that Jean Jones had for sale at our last guild trunk sale.
This is quilt number 3 from the blocks that my Wednesday quilting group made from fabric squares and strips that I took from my stash.  Quilt number two is sitting on the pile, waiting for the binding to get stitched down and enough blocks left for a fourth quilt.  Good stitching by my friends and great use of fabric for fun quilts for injured military members.

I have my red scraps pulled for my paper pieced string blocks and my rail fence blocks for Oh Scrap rainbow challenge for July.
And I am working on more teal/purple 16 patch blocks.
Plus, the pile of quilt tops with backings made and batting cut is waiting for the heat to arrive, later this week.  When it is hot outside, it is perfect in my downstairs bunker.  In the meantime, it is time to be in the garden harvesting zucchini and baking. 



No comments:

Post a Comment