Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Hot August nights

August began with cooler weather which was a wonderful break from our heat in July but, typical August weather is back with hot days and so far, cooler nights for sleeping but I don't think that is going to last this week.  Hot August nights are arriving momentarily!
Sewing? Quilting? Not quite as much done because I have done some 'other' tasks around the house.  I cooked up lots of ribs in salt free sauce and froze 6 meals after a nice feed for my husband and grandson yesterday.  Today, I cleaned and organized my storage cupboard that contains cleaning supplies, light bulbs, a crazy amount of C cell batteries and other odds and ends.  Plus, my husband took the boat out of our garage to test it on the river so I grabbed the opportunity to vacuum the corners and edges and hopefully, there are few less spiders to weave their webs.  And I washed my side of the garage floor.
No quilting today. But, I do have my orange and brown strips and bits in a basket ready for the Oh Scrap RCS challenge this month.
 And, the binding got stitched down on this Quilt of Valour.  This is made from some of the happy blocks that my Wednesday quilting group made from lots of fabric I took weekly and passing around, hoping they would participate.  And they did!  Enough blocks for four quilts and this is the second one quilted and bound.
And the binding got stitched down on this Autumn strips quilt.  Yes, it looks like the one I finished earlier but it is different though it has the same border and binding.  I made two quilts from one package of 2.5" strips.
These two selvedge mug rugs are still waiting patiently to be bound... soon!
And I brought home a kit from the FVMQG in July to make a blocks for our charity quilting program.  I couldn't stop at one but did stop at two because, otherwise, I would have kept making more and more.  Fun and addictive.
These are two blocks that one of my Wed Diva quilting group put in my basket and when I got home, I had to figure out how to make these.
A bit of a mathematical challenge but instead of working it out on paper, I tried to do it with fabric.  That wasn't a great idea and after making a set of four blocks that didn't turn out quite right, I stopped and drafted the pattern on graph paper and now I have the correct measurements for each step.
Start with a center surrounded by a border.
Slice, rearrange and stitch back together.  Ooops, my seams don't all line up.  Have more fabric cut and ready to make another sample that is correct measurements.
The evenings are getting darker earlier and so that means heading upstairs to sit and watch tv and handstitch bindings.  I got two done last week and hopefully another two this week?






No comments:

Post a Comment