Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2018

Tennis, sockeye and not much time bonding with my machine.

Sockeye season is here.  It has been four years since the last run of sockeye and so the sports fishermen are hitting it hard, including my husband.  Of course, catching the fish is the fun part, the work begins when these fish land on my kitchen counter.  I am packaging some in small filets perfect for the two of us for dinner as well as a few larger pieces in case we have company and some whole pieces that I will can later in September when the temperatures are cooler and I can have my doors and windows open.
And, the evenings are getting shorter, much darker much earlier so I am doing more hand sewing of binding these days as I am not tempted to sit downstairs and sew once it is dark outside.



I managed to cut batting to go with a few more quilt tops and figure out which backings would work with each.  They are stacked, waiting for me.
My 'quilts waiting' have diminished in number! That feels good!!
The binding got done on my selvedge mug mats.
And the binding got finished on a quilt that was a kit from Connecting Threads purchased last November. The pattern is called Tabby.
Another quilt that got bound and is now totally finished is a project from last fall by Christa Watson called Modern Puzzle.  This is a free pattern that is on her blog. Great use of a package of 2.5" strips.
My buddy was visiting last weekend and showed me a quilt that she made from the pattern I made last fall (Jan 9th blog) that uses fat quarters.  I had a bundle of fabrics that were 12" wide x the width of the fabric and though that maybe I could make them work in this pattern. This kit of fabric has been hanging around my sewing room for a few years and time to use it!
I am in the process of joining all the squares.  I had to do some figuring to get twenty squares out of the fabric I had and some fabrics got used twice but that is ok because it used up most of the fabric and it will be a bright and coordinated quilt.

Still more quilts to quilt, quilts to bind and lots of blocks to make into quilts.  But am working like a turtle, slow and steady though I haven't done my bonding with my machine for the last 10 days.  Unusual but I have had to do a lot of our garden watering with my husband on the river fishing. And there is a lovely number of packages of cabbage rolls in the freezer.  One day at a time!
I did manage to get the binding finished on this quilt that I made last week from fabrics that were from my friend Dee's stash that she is reducing.  Not too sure why I am adding to my stash but no guilt since this one is done and ready for donation. 
Am off to sew for 15 minutes.  My new plan since I don't seem to be spending entire afternoons sewing like 'normal for me'.








No comments:

Post a Comment