Search This Blog

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Mid September and the rain is here!

So what is happening in the Pacific Northwest?  Rain, rain and more rain and some wind.  I know I shouldn't complain after our dry summer and all the forest fires and I feel so bad for all those suffering in the weather back east... but still.... this is not what we expect in September?  Sunshine tomorrow.  Crossing fingers.
Rain slows me down... I don't get up in the morning and charge out the door for tennis but seem to spend too much on my computer and am slow, poky and generally a bit of a sloth! I write lists but nothing gets crossed off!
However, a few projects are on their way!
I signed up for the teal block swap to support Ovarian Cancer research and was partnered with Suzie from San Jose.  I could have opted to swap within Canada but how much could it cost to mail a mug rug out of the country?She loves pugs and has just joined a modern guild so this is what she got from me.
Two mug rugs because after I made the first one... I had some leftovers bits and thought of a different idea.  I think my partner was hoping for applique but it didn't happen.  Those yellow bits are dog bones so thought that she would enjoy the doggie touch?

I did get my blue strippie blocks made for Oh Scrap rainbow challenge.  The rail fence blocks are in progress... slow progress!
And my Sparrow Quilting from Edmonton weekly block challenge/mystery is up to date with 9 blocks done.
The final quilt for our Wednesday Diva quilt group challenge to make a Quilt of Valour quilt resulted in 5 quilts being made from my scraps with some of theirs thrown in to make the blocks.  I have quilted and bound all of them and this is the last one.  Pretty good for a small group!
This quilt is made from some fabric called Modern Century.  I have had this stack of fabric forever... feels like a very long time.  They were strips of fabric, width of fabric and about 12" wide.  I made my fat quarter pattern from the fabric but had to be a bit creative with the cutting.  DONE!  I am so happy... this is an ancient UFO.
And this one is even older!  Am going to guess a minimum of 12 years... maybe longer.  The pattern was from the Cozy Quilt shop when they first started creating patterns and I used to read their blog and stitch up their patterns for my neighbour who taught cake therapy classes using their patterns.  This was cut and in a baggie for longer than I can remember and it has moved from the farm to our mobile home in AZ and then to our home in AZ and the finished top came back here to quilted and bound.  It has travelled and is well aged.
And because I couldn't settle down to anything yesterday, I decided to stitch up this tote bag.  It was a kit on sale from Connecting Threads.  A great size for stuffing a quilt into and is called the "Show and Tell" bag.  Good name!! 
I have blocks made for Canada Stitches.  This organization collects all kinds of quilt blocks, including cross stitch and embroidery to make quilts for first responders.  The quilter that I send blocks to makes the quilts for those that attend and graduate from the Can Praxis program in Rocky Mountain House... a course for helping them deal with PTSD.  All are given a quilt at the end of their time there.  I promote the blocks within my local guild and they bring me blocks to the guild meeting and I have heavy box to mail off this week with a lot of blocks made!
My plus block got quilted today and I need to cut and make the binding for it.  Chose this wiggly black and white stripe.  Might make my eyes go wonky!
And the quilting was done while I listened to my canner making a constant hissing sound as I canned salmon.  This has been on my list for a few weeks since my husband caught quite a few sockeye this season.  Job done!  Now to hope that all my jars sealed.
So,there it is... a few more projects completed and jobs crossed off the master list and half way through the month.
My list for the next two weeks:
1. quilt a hug blocks quilt and bind
2. put together my L -7 blocks into a quilt top
3. quilt the flannel quilt that got put together in AZ this past winter, and bind.
4. blue rail fence blocks
5. cut some kid's flannel into squares for preemie quilts
6. quilt my Sew Sisters quilt top and bind
7. quilt my 150 women's quilt top and bind
8. Put the blocks from my daisy quilt together into a quilt top
9. Blocks that are 16 patch teal and turquoise into a quilt top
10. Happy blocks for some kid's quilts. 

Only 10 things on the my list and 2 weeks to accomplish... can I do it? 






1 comment: