Follow by Email

Saturday, August 5, 2017

One August week almost gone!

It is almost the end of the first week of August.  Wow, this week felt both long and went fast at the same time.  We are 'smoked' in and so that has been good for me getting some work done in my sewing studio.  Not much tennis played this week due to warnings about air quality for seniors - that is me!  A true senior. 
I played around with more strings and strips and made enough blocks to put a quilt top together. 

And my Sew-Sisters two blocks for July got finished.  They were actually finished on Sunday so made it under the wire.
And the block that my buddy showed me two weeks ago is now a quilt top, added to the list of waiting projects.
Last Sunday, our electricity was out all afternoon and into the early evening.  My sewing bunker is underground (where I keep all my supplies) so I couldn't load a quilt on the B-line because it is pitch black in there. I did make a list of projects and got my sewing space cleaned up and then, wanted to sew so badly but I don't have a treadle machine.  So, I dragged my roll of batting up to my sewing space (where I have loads of windows and walk out basement) and proceeded to cut batting for all my quilt tops on hand.  That felt good to at least get something accomplished. This is one of the quilt tops that is ready for layering and quilting.
And since Sunday, have managed to quilt two tops, waiting now for their binding.
And this lovely floral quilt got quilted and bound. This is a Villa Rosa pattern: Melinda Jo.
And one of my strip stars (Missouri Star pattern) got quilted and bound all ready for a Quilts of Valour recipient.
This quilt is spray basted and ready for me to quilt on my domestic machine using the walking foot since I want to do straight lines and stitch in the ditch.  It is a kit from Connecting Threads, started last fall and will get finished this week - I hope!
After cleaning and organizing my sewing space and realizing that I have four tops waiting for me to handstitch the bindings, I decided to switch gears and play with the scrap basket container that will be a guild challenge/swap in September.  Wow... which one to swap and look - it is only early August and I am done!
One my UFO's that is patiently waiting is my 16 patch teal and purple blocks so I have moved them to within my vision every time I go down into my bunker.  They are hanging on the door.  They will get put on the design wall when the strip blocks are joined and ready for the pile of tops that need backing and batting and quilting.
A great start to the month of August for me.  Sort of a catch-22.  Horrible smoky conditions because of the really awful forest fires burning in the interior of BC and we are forced indoors with windows closed and no outside activity but I made lemonade out of lemons, completing projects and having a tidy and organized sewing space. Will see how the rest of the month progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment