Follow by Email

Saturday, May 27, 2017

End of May, time to be accountable for my time

 I managed to get red and cream borders onto my 9 patch blocks and this top is now in the pile awaiting quilting and binding.  Plus, we bought some bricks that are intended to create a circle and managed to play with them to build up my garden in the front of my house.  With new dirt added, am hoping to have a really happy hydrangea that won't dry out this summer if we get our usual hot temperatures.
I didn't get very far on my list that I posted in my last blog but have been sidetracked by a few 'new' projects.
In May, I picked up a We Care project that was all cut and ready for stitching at my guild meeting and it is now pieced, waiting for me to get the quilting and binding done.
And I did finish up the slab blocks that I was playing with for Quilts of Valour. Another top waiting for me to get busy and in a quilting mode.
I organized all my leftover strips into full length and bits and pieces and then started to play with making strip tubes and using my strip triangle ruler to cut out my blocks. The blocks are done, put together and add another quilt to the pile waiting patiently to be finished.
I attended the Boundary Bay quilt show earlier in the month and picked up these two blocks that were being offered by local quilt shops to celebrate Canada's birthday.
My Sew Sister's Sesquicentennial blocks for May are finished and waiting for me to get the rest done and the quilt top ready for quilting.
And, I worked on my Riley Blake challenge from the Modern guild.  I did not get my quilt finished in time for the deadline as I was waiting for some solids to arrive from the Fat Quarter shop... the rules said only Riley Blake solids could be added.  But since I missed the deadline, I cheated and added in a print that I found at Hamel's that I thought worked really well with the fabrics. I did learn that in the time it takes to make 20 churn dash blocks that finish at 6", I could have just as easily made 12" blocks in the same amount of time and had a full size quilt.  This quilt is the perfect size for donating to the NICU and make some preemie baby happy with the bright colours.




And my final project in the last couple of weeks was making more Solstice Mystery blocks.  I had this one made and it is huge!Not too sure what Pat Sloan is thinking but I know that I will need to cut up a lot of 2.½" squares to make some pieced rectangles that will help all these blocks fit together.
There are two more smaller blocks at the top of this picture that are going to finish at 12" but the other block is also fairly large and after it was made, decided that I didn't like the center... way too boring and blah.
So what about a turquoise in the center?


It looks pretty good and I like it but then I looked at the other blocks that I have made... and there are loads of them!  and it seems to me that I need a little more green so went searching and found this piece to try.
I need to unpick the center square - a great tv watching project and then add in my new piece.  I actually am thinking that I still prefer the turquoise?  Seems to give the block a lot more life and movement? The navy blue has a very slight fleck of turquoise in it so, after seeing these picture, might just change my  mind once again!

That is pretty much what is happening here.  No finishes to show but am determined to get the two smaller quilts quilted and bound in the next couple of days and spend some time tomorrow layering up two of my larger quilts and work on them.  My QOV cupboard is bare after handing over 10 quilts to a fellow, Al Cameron who visits with veterans and records their stories and at the end of his session, he hands each person a quilt.  If you check out Quilts of Valour on Facebook, you will see pictures and be able to find out more information about the  Veterans Voices of Canada.






No comments:

Post a Comment