Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2021

And a month goes by just like that... poof!

 What have I done for the last month?  I want to say 'nothing much' or 'mucking around' but in reality, every day seems busy. It seems with shorter days, I spend less time stitching during my favourite time of day in my sewing studio which is the time right after dinner with kitchen cleaned up.  One hour of pedal to the metal except now it is so dark, I have push myself to come downstairs. 

But, there have been quilty things accomplished along with gardening, yard work, tennis and fall clean up. 

My hourglass scrappy Quilt of Valour was quilted (gratis, thank you!) and returned to me by Dianne of Chilliwack and she did a great job with it.  This is a UFO from a few years ago when I made a quilt and had extra blocks leftover which were living on a hanger.  I started making more blocks, using up leftover 2.5" strips and added in a panel.  

My contribution to Carole's efforts to make 3 survivor quilts for deserving recipients that she knows personally. 
I had subscribed to a stitching/sewing monthly box and was never impressed with the sewing projects that came with it.  However, this month, it was perfect!  Fabric panel with batting and backing plus binding and the pattern included. Of course, I ignored the pattern and cut out the placemats, layered and quilted them and then added borders to the two mug rug squares included.  All are finished and going on the table this week.

I worked on adding hearts to background fabrics for a wonky heart long cabin quilt.  I used a "new to me" technique.  You spray the back of the hearts with 606 and then press in place.  It makes a permanent bond but the fabric doesn't go hard like using a fusible web.

 

 The tumblers blocks that were leftover from the last tumbler quilt I made got put together into another donation top.  I still have tumblers left.  I used my accuquilt to cut them out and tried to use up some 'what was I thinking? fabric'.  I had to play with the rows on my design wall to get the effect that I wanted.

 

A good friend, Penny, took a bundle of leftover blocks and panels from me and graciously agreed to do something with them.  Some of these blocks were at least 12 years old and I don't remember where they all came from.  She added in some of what she had on hand and assembled two quilt tops.  Joanne Davenport of Remarkable Impressions in Mission, donated the long arm quilting on both.  Thank you to her so much for contributing to Quilts of Valour.


I added the binding and got it stitched down on both quilts.

I also managed to stitch down some applique from blocks made for Quilts of valour.  The fabric and precut, fused, applique comes in a kit from the Quilt of Valour website.

And, here are my wonky heart log cabins, ready for a hanger, which is where it will live until I get busy quilting. 

This is the last of my rainbow scrap challenge blocks for 2021. 

And my October Patterns by Jen which was pink grapefruit for the colour.
This was the last of the preemie quilts I made after retreat.  One of them got started at retreat but I didn't have strips that were the full width of the fabric so had to wait until I was home to cut more to finish up. Eventually, these will get layered, quilted and bound but there is no rush since I have contributed a large number of preemie quilts so far this year. 
A month of work?  It doesn't seem like much but, I do plod along trying to reduce the amount of fabric in my stash and make quilts for donation.  Now, it is time to start piecing batting leftovers to get them large enough for the quilts that I have patiently waiting on hangers for quilting and binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment