Search This Blog

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Ending this year and starting 2023

 I might actually have two more finishes for 2022 IF I get the bindings on two quilts this evening.  If not, they will be the first finished for next year! I have been working on my last 'bag' of a project picked up from the local modern guild in the summer of 2019.  Earlier this year, I finished up the majority of what I had brought home but still had one bag left with fabric to work with. 

I ended up framing the prints and making happy blocks.  I pulled a green and a coral from my stash to go with the printed fabrics, hoping to tone them down a little? These are the blocks as I finished making them. 

This is the second one I am working on and blocks are joined in one direction (spider webbed) and need to finish the horizontal rows. 
The first one is done and waiting to be pressed and then take its place on a hanger, waiting for layering, quilting and binding.
In the meantime, I decided to use some  Christmas and snowy/winter themed fabrics from my stash to make some last minute table toppers as gifts. There were seven that got finished. 

A long arm quilter in Chilliwack, Dianne Mitchell, dropped off three quilts of valour that she had quilted and bound for the cause.  These are all 3 yard quilt patterns with a little more fabric used than the amounts called for in the quilts.  The first one is Stepping Stones by Fabric Cafe.

The next one is Sew Quick by Fabric Cafe. 


The third one is called Nine plus One, again, 3 yard pattern by Fabric Cafe.

One of my next projects is to work on using up some strip scraps from two containers, one with light and the other with dark.  I think scrappy log cabins will the block I make.  Some mindless sewing to start of the year?  Also on the table, two quilts waiting to be bound.  They are UFO's from 2021 and not sure if they will get finished tonight or not?   You can see outside the window that our miserable snow storm from last week has gone and the rain that replaced it has given us a lovely break today.  Some areas are even dry!! 

I did manage to set up my Christmas village ten days before Christmas and am so glad I did.  It is fun to put it out but this year, am taking some pictures to take the guess work out of how to arrange the houses for future reference. 

The snow drifts were amazing when we got our first snowfall and it took a lot of shoveling to get down to the concrete surface of our driveway and even more to find the steps to out front porch. The patio outside the back of our house was a massive drift as well.

This is where my husband and I spend an hour every day, walking and using some exercise machines plus weights to keep us in decent physical shape to be able to return to playing tennis without having lost all our muscle strength... very important to us as we age and in this snow and rainy and below freezing temperatures, outside tennis isn't an option.
And, we had the necessary appointment at the pre op clinic at our local hospital in preparation for the second carotid surgery that my husband requires.  Hopefully, by the time I write my first blog in 2023, all will be done and he will be healing. 

A very healthy and happy New Year to all my friends and family as well as all of your loved ones and acquaintances.  My favourite comment that I read about celebrating New Year's eve was having to decide what to wear to the living room for the evening and would match your activity of choice.  I am thinking some comfy pajamas and my book while my husband watches hockey on tv?  

See you next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment