Search This Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Beginning of March: will it snow, rain or will the sun shine?

 The weather here is entertaining - snowing and then sun shines and then it is raining.  Wait for an hour and it will change.  

I spent some quality time in my quilting studio for the second half of February and accomplished as much as I wanted to.  I still have lots of paper sitting around with ideas for quilts but there are some finished projects and others listed, waiting patiently, but I know what they are and their turn will come. 

There is no particular order to these but there are lots of pictures to show you.  First, some finished quilts! The first one is a community quilt, our donation program in the Fraser Valley Modern quilters guild.  I have (had) 3 bags of fabrics and some partially completed projects.  This first one just got borders added to get it to a slightly larger size.  It is perfect for a toddler to drag around and I put flannelette on the back.

A three yard quilt from Fabric Cafe called Connections and I made these blocks on one of my trips to our other house in Arizona.   It isn't a large quilt but will be donated to Quilts of Valour. 
My Patterns by Jen, block of the month for 2023 is completed. A young UFO from last year.  Another donation to Quilts of Valour.  I try to make two blocks each month with the lights and darks reversed so there are some matching blocks here. 
This quilt is from a pattern named Blue Moon and there are two different size blocks, a square and a rectangle so not the usual way of making a brick quilt.  A good use of blue and brown scrap fabrics. 
Positivity is a Villa Rosa pattern and made from blue and brown fat quarters.  In this quilt, there are also reversed but matching blocks.  The fabric you see in the center will also be the background in a different block.  This is also a donation to Quilts of Valour.
Koby by GE Designs used some blue batiks and is destined for a special younger friend who is being very supportive to her sister, my goddaughter undergoing cancer treatment.  A tough time for the entire family and hopefully a quilted hug will help in the really bad moments.

I spent time putting together blocks made in Arizona, into quilt tops.  There are still more waiting but working as fast as I can. 

In February, there was a national Canadian Quilts of Valour sew day and Lisa Compton designed this block she called Connections, for us.  I made all the connection blocks while in Arizona and the went through Canadian themed fabric when I got home, looking for pieces big enough to the 13" block.  Top finished and on a hanger waiting for quilting and binding. 

These are rainbow scrap challenge blocks that have been put together.  I have enough blocks for two or three more quilts.  Again, now on a hanger waiting for the next step.
A block called Corn off the cob that I had seen and jotted down a diagram measurements on a piece of scrap paper and didn't note the source.  These were stitched up in Arizona last November and put together last week and now on a hanger. 
I am working on St. Louis 16 patches as leaders and enders while stitching other projects and amazing how easy it is to make the blocks once the fat quarters are cut.  This is top #1 and there will be 2 or 3 more to come.  This was stitched last December and finally made it to the ironing board for pressing and now residing on a hanger.
A true UFO ... wow, this old and I need to see how long ago I made these blocks.  It was a Pat Sloan block of the month called Solstice and I have had the fabrics used in it waiting patiently for me to use in sashings or borders.  I have no idea why I have procrastinated on this but, it is going to get put together this month!  And the extra fabrics can go back into my stash. 

More sixteen patches made

This is oopsie daisy and is Bonnie Hunter's 2024 leader and ender project so, I have two of these on the go.  I decided to make them in the Rainbow scrap challenge colour of the month and February was red. 
And then I made the greens for February.  Time to dig out all my purples strips and bits and pieces for March. 

The quilt I made for my goddaughter who is undergoing her second chemo treatment is being used to help keep her warm and give her hugs from a distance.  

Time to get to work on the March projects but February was productive. My list for March is:

1. Rainbow scrap blocks in purples (rail fence, Bundle & Bows, criss cross star, L blocks, garlic knots

2. Oopsie daisy blocks in purples

3. Alpha blocks put together Material Girls February

4. PBJ for March in reds

5. Mystery quilt next step when published on Mar 7

6. Work on the solstice blocks (ancient UFO)

7.  Finish up the 16 patches and put together into quilt tops

8. Heartstrings challenge is 'kits' for March and I have lots of those on hand.

9. Kimberbell St.Patrick day table runner to make (a very UFO) 

10. Clean up and price my extra rulers

11. Modern guild block for the March block lotto

12. Grid Girls March block: Charlie 

13. 3 yard Echo from Material Cirls

14. House block for Survivor quilts 

15. Plus blocks from 2023 RSC

16. Quilts of Valour maritime blocks for 2024 

17. Bento Box blocks - 2 quilts? 

Lots of projects to keep me busy!


1 comment:

  1. Nice to find your blog, Carolyn. Lots of great projects going on!

    ReplyDelete