Search This Blog

Friday, October 4, 2024

First week of October- binding done!

 Binding done and working on a major clean up!

This is finished Strip Twist made in June 2023 so, a UFO!  I didn't know where to donate this quilt but decided on Quilts of Valour.  

I used a panel on the back that is a map of Canada thinking that it made the quilt more Canadian?


I had a stack of brown rail fences that were aging in a box and I also had a pattern called Honor from years ago which gave measurements for cutting off the two opposite corners of the blocks and adding fabric to create a bit of a star.  In order to make this one more Canadian, another panel was used on the back.  Kudos to Stephanie of Heartstrings for the suggestion to use panels on the backs of quilts.  Brilliant idea and all my panels are now gathered together and ready to use!


The September quilt-a-long with Running Doe (Villa Rosa) was a pattern called Buttons.  I struggled with which fabrics to use but took out a kit from a mystery box from 2023 and used the set of batiks.  I added in a couple from my own stash and because I didn't want a really large quilt, I made two.  One has 20 blocks and the smaller one used 12.  


Confetti is another quilt that I made using a bundle of fabrics from the same mystery box from 2023.  I am trying hard to use up and make the quilts and other projects that arrive in my home and I do love these boxes but not always thrilled with the patterns they include.  A fun quilt and was inspired by a triangle quilt being made at a sew in with the modern guild in August.  Thanks Debbie for the idea.

I am still working on making these double hourglass blocks.  The heartstrings group chose jelly rolls as the September challenge and I did make Honor with rail fences but, I wanted to use an actual jelly roll and found this Hoffman dots package tucked away in the UFO container.  I need to add some of my own fabrics to get the quilt to a finished size that I like but it is my leader and ender project at the moment and is perfect for stitching during Friday night zoom session with modern guild friends. 

A quilt top came from Susan G in New Brunswick last October and I have quilted the other tops earlier this year and the final one is done.  Such a pretty quilt and I think it will awesome for a wheel chair quilt or for someone sitting in their recliner.  Done and labeled.

All of the quilts I finished this month used "frankenbatts'  which means batting pieced together from leftover strips.  The bindings and backings came from my stash and the best part is - only one quilt waiting on a hanger and now that I know where I want to donate it, it will get finished and I may not wait for the end of the month. 

Lots of idea but am concentrating on using fabrics that are in bundles and still have a few from the mystery boxes but am determined to move them from waiting to be used into a quilt top. The main list of project is similar to other months.

- Rainbow scrap challenge (color choice is up to us)

- Patterns by Jen and block is in black/gray

- Double hour glass blocks finished

- Cut and create kits from bundles on hand

- quilt the top that has been on a hanger for a few years. 

- stitch a block for the modern guild block swap this month

- Heartstrings: fat quarter is the monthly choice of precut

So far, the list is not too long but, I will be adding to it as I create kits for mindless stitching. 





No comments:

Post a Comment