Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Last week of the month so time to quilt... or maybe not?

 Normally, in my schedule of things to do, the last week of the month is time to quilt the tops I made in the previous 3 weeks.  A slight modification this month because I did do a bit of quilting last week and I have got 3 of my quilt tops ready, with backing and batting, to be quilted on a long arm.  There are two of these scrappy log cabins with two different layouts plus my Running Doe July sew along using Double Delight as the pattern.  For this quilt, I dug out one of the plastic bags of fabric tossed in my direction at one of our modern guild meetings.  I added in a few more fabrics and this is the result.  The main fabric was a butterfly print with all of these colours.  


All bundled up and ready to drop off for quilting through a modern guild member who offers her time to quilt any tops destined for our community program. 
This is one of the projects that got completed with my last in, first out rule.  It is from a surprise box from Quilt the North and is a Vancouver pattern designer with this representing ocean, forests, water and mountains, all part of our landscape. Pacific Waves by Berry Hill designs.  
 

Another project finished is Bright Side Up.  This was also a wall hanging in a Quilt the North surprise box. I did the free motion free hand on my domestic and it was a challenge since I normally do my free motion on larger quilts on the frame.  
I did the binding on some placemats for a friend and realized that we could probably use some new summer ones on our table so pulled out some fabrics and got these two made using quilt as you go method. 
I have red potato chip blocks done as well as my yellow and blue.  I have enough blocks now for a quilt top so those will get laid out once I get some wall space.  

Making this potato chip blocks is addictive (I was warned) and a few weeks ago, did the binding on a quilt that I liked so much, I decided to make one.  I have all the leftover strips 2.5" x 4.5" from making these sets of coloured blocks so I charged ahead even it wasn't on my list of projects waiting. 

My strips are organized in piles of each colour and have since cut more green pieces.  I am not sure how large I will make it but will keep stitching unless some of these piles are really small or maybe even used up. 
I have been sewing along with Running Doe of Villa Rosa  for over a year and am accumulating more of the patterns with the difference being that normally the pattern is 4 x 6, like a postcard size but when she sends them out to us, they print off on regular printer paper.  I gathered them and took the time to get my patterns sorted alphabetically and cross them off on the master list from Villa Rosa.  


 

A special quilting friend died a few years ago and her husband finally decided to let another good friend pick up all the quilting fabrics that were left in her studio.  In her fabrics there were some blocks for Quilts of Valour started and I decided that I could make more, along with some help from my Wednesday Diva group, and complete a quilt top that she had intentions of making.  The block is simple with two four patches combined with two Canadian themed fabrics.  I am putting them on the wall so I can keep track of how many I have.  


I do have a quilt from a friend to load on the frame and get completed so that should be next on the list of projects.  Three days left in the month.  Our weather cooled off after living with a/c for a few weeks and the rain was welcome but it sure makes getting dressed a challenge... is it a tank top and shorts day?  Maybe t-shirt and capris?  Or, like today, changing at noon from tennis clothing to long pants and long sleeved shirt!  Meals have gone from menus that keep the kitchen cool to wanting something that requires the oven to give the kitchen a bit of warmth?  

Keep on quilting!  That is my daily motto!  No matter how fast I sew, the project pile doesn't seem to diminish.  











No comments:

Post a Comment