Search This Blog

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Another day, another month!

 I have been at my sewing machine a lot in the last few months but was working on so many various projects, I wasn't really getting many finished.  That has changed!  This is a sewing machine cover that I made from an improvisational piece that I made in a class with Krista Hennebury in  2015... how to piece with improv techniques.  I had no idea what to do with it.  Not my favourite colours but I have a sewing machine that could use a cover so here it is! 



 And there was a container of tumbler blocks and strips.  Lots of them were pieced and just needed to be put together and then layered, quilted and bound.  Well, ended up with three preemie quilts for the local NICU at the hospital in town.  These are girlie quilts.  I quilted each one a little differently.  The best part is that I have very few tumbler blocks left in the container.  I had used the tumblers as leaders and ender last summer while I was piecing other projects.  So another 3 UFO's bite the dust!





 Not too sure if it was fall of 2015 or 2014 that I pieced this Turning Twenty quilt top.  I sent it off to a long arm quilter who offered to quilt it for me and I waited.  This is for Quilts of Valour and the long arm quilter does fabulous work and she provided the backing and the batting and she bound it.  But more than that, she added the maple leaf borders to give the quilt more pizzazz.  It was worth the wait for her to finish off the quilt so beautifully.  Well done Barbara Bettles.  and Thank you.  So one more UFO is finished and off to an injured military member. 

 I was asked a question after my last blog post about the B-line.  Karen wanted to know what I was talking about.  It is a home quilting system and there is a Brother 1500 on the frame.  These were made locally for a number of years and then the company disappeared after health issues in the family. This is well used and have had it for at least 15 years.  It is shared with my best buddy and it spends summers at my house and winters at her house.
See the picture on the wall?  That is a very old hexie wall hanging that I made in a class where we studied colour.  The teacher was awesome, Jane Norquay and we made many projects.  This is a colour wheel and I totally forgot last week when Modern guild had a celebration of our 6th anniversary to take this for the hexie show and tell.  I did make a few hexies for my contribution to the door prize table.




One of my finished in the last few weeks was this table table runner for the SPCA.  I dislike working with this designers patterns but the table runner turned out ok despite issues with the cutting instructions.  I found out later that Hamel's actually puts in a correction sheet with the pattern to help those making the runner to avoid the pitfalls of poor cutting directions. I donated this and it will be in their auction and hopefully it helps to raise some funds to go towards the local shelter.


Glorious and Free.  I finished this a few months ago and it was quilted by Connie Elsdon who had a busy summer and she returned it to me at guild meeting this week.  It is ready to be donated to the Integrated Personnel Support Unit at Jericho Garrison in Vancouver BC later this month. It will hang there to remind them that Quilts of Valour is supporting the injured military by wrapping them in quilted hugs.
I didn't go back to my last posting to see if I had posted a picture of my Floating squares quilt by Missouri Star.  Another video that distracted me from what I had been planning to do and just happened to have a charm pack of pastels, added in some solids from my own stash and made this a little bit modern! If I showed this already, you get to see it again.


 And I have a layer cake lattice quilt, pattern from the Fat Quarter shop.  Used 10" squares and is another quilt finished in the last few weeks.
I had fun making a sewing themed quilt. It started with a charm pack and a jelly roll that was called something like Mary Jo's or Mary Jane's sewing room.  They were a few years old and when I started making the blocks, it turned out that there was only enough for 20 blocks.  So, I dug through my container of old sewing themed fabrics, found some newer modern fabrics with the same theme and kept adding until it was large enough for ME.  I used bamboo batting in this quilt and it has plaid flannel on the back.  Will be nice as the overnight temperatures get cooler.  And fun fabrics, old meets new!
Quilts of Valour has an ongoing project where quilters are encouraged to make 9" finished blocks from Northcott's Oh Canada fabrics and the blocks get sent to Edmonton where they are sorted by province and sets of 30 are put together representing the provinces and territories across the nation.  I opted to make a quilt out of a set of blocks and this is my final project which will go to a deserving military member through Quilts of Valour.  If you participated in the mug hug project of the past few years, maybe you have a block in this quilt?

And finally, I won a charm pack!  From Dinkydoo fabrics in Maple Ridge.  I entered a contest online and surprise!  My name got chosen to be the recipient and this arrived in mailbox yesterday.  Yippee and thanks to Dinkydoo.  AWESOME.  





Wow, I am always behind in my posting but today's should provide you with a decent 'catch up'.  







No comments:

Post a Comment