Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2018

Finally, some sewing and an update!

Here it is, Dec 7th and I am finally 'getting around to it".  Procrastination seems to be a family trait and I have had 'write blog' on my list of things to do for the last few weeks.
We arrived at our winter home and, right away, the social life gets better and lots of time on the tennis court and I decided to enjoy the heat with trips to the local library and do some reading.

Finally, I headed into my sewing room and looked around, shook my head and knew that I had make some lists and get myself organized.  In the meantime, my husband had a repair that I had to fix so that meant unpacking my sewing machine and getting it set up which also means digging out the spools of thread that I keep wrapped in zip-loc bags.  My machine (and my printer) are always packed away in heavy plastic with as much air removed as possible to help prevent parts from drying out in the summer.  We leave our a/c set at 90 while we are gone so things get hot and dry in our house.

It is always a feeling of relief and happiness when my printer works after being unpacked and getting it connected. 
The first project that inspired me to get stitching was a post from Canadian Quilter's Association (CQA) that next year, 2019, they were going to sponsor, along with Northcott Fabrics, the making of log cabin blocks for Quilts of Valour, Canada.  The block is easily available on the QOVC website and uses 2.5" strips.  It is preferable to use Northcott fabrics (Oh Canada) but any red or white fabrics are acceptable.  Since I didn't find out about this challenge/project until after arriving here, I don't have any of the Oh Canada fabrics available here.  So, I dug out all my red and white (more cream than white) and got busy cutting strips.
The blocks were laid out and sewing began. Who knew I had so much red fabric here.  Lots of variety!  Since the blocks finish at 10", it takes 42 blocks for a finished quilt 60" x 70". 
And the finished quilt with some extra blocks leftover.  CQA and QOVC are accepting blocks, tops and finished quilts.  Of course, finished quilts are the best and great projects for groups to work on. 
My quilt will get layered, quilted and bound next spring when I am back 'home'.
Of course, one the activities that happens here is U.S. Thanksgiving and black Friday sales.  With our dollar being the pits at the moment, I tried really hard to avoid purchasing much but Craftsy seems to have kits on sale at ridiculously cheap prices so I bought a few.  And, I dug out my projects on hand and found a few UFO's as well as kits waiting and patterns that I would like to make.
 We hosted Thanksgiving dinner, at our home and enjoyed the company of some of our friends.  Of course, Canadians love having two turkey dinners in the fall!



There are framed 16 patches from jelly roll strips, a Busy Bee kit that is from Villa Rosa and framed squares using 10" squares.
The framed 16 patches got put together into a quilt top.  Plus, two more kits pulled out and fabric cut, blocks stitched.  More good ideas for using 10" squares.


Then, I stopped!  Yesterday was a rainy day and I cleaned up the mess in the sewing room and dug out Christmas fabric.  I went through everything I seem to have on hand for the season and started making a few gifts.  My husband is enjoying some television shows that I don't enjoy (the Vikings..ugh) and so I have been stitching in the evenings while watching mindless Hallmark channel and feeling like Christmas just might be happening!  The tree is assembled, decorated and the house looks as festive as it is will get this season. 

Just in case I don't get back here in the next few weeks to update you, enjoy your Christmas and may you all be healthy and have lots of stitching time!


No comments:

Post a Comment