Search This Blog

Thursday, January 3, 2019

January - new beginnings, both projects and life

I have been out of touch and I apologize but sadly, my mom got sick, was hospitalized and diagnosed with congenital heart disease and left us on December 17th.  While I wasn't surprised or depressed, it certainly seemed to affect my subconscious and I spent the few weeks reading (escaping?) and of course, a trip back to spring/summer home was planned. 
We are enduring some horrible rain and am so glad I don't have to spend my winters here in this dark and dreary weather!  UGH!
This was the picture we used in mom's obituary.  She was 91 years old and while we are sad at her passing, she is still with us in so many small ways that I can't help but think of her when doing ordinary tasks and her name comes up in conversations constantly.  We had a wonderful celebration of her life and the sun shone and red tailed hawk flew over the cemetery as we watched her ashes lowered into the ground. 
I did manage to finish up the table toppers before this happened and also a few coasters got made plus a fabric holder for bowls that get put into the microwave.



And then we had a houseguest arrive in mid December.  She is a jack russell and is used to long walks so daily exercise became mandatory.

And some baking got done.  Sausage rolls in memory of my mom and mince tarts which were my mother in laws specialty.  She even made her own mincemeat but not me. I do add lots of grated apple to store bought mincemeat to make the flavour a little milder.

And then we had a surprise visit from my grandson and he and the dog bonded immediately and they were good sleeping buddies.
And no sewing! 
We had a small Christmas dinner.
And then we flew home and have spent a week with traveling to and from Vancouver Island.  I did manage to tidy up my sewing space so will come home in the spring to an organized area which will be nice.  We head back to sunshine and cold temperatures soon and hopefully my next post will actually be about some quilting projects.  I am feeling keen to get my machine humming. 

In the meantime, a new beginning without mom and a new year to start fresh.  My first task is going to be list the leftover and newly created UFO's.  Happy New Year and a belated Merry Christmas.







3 comments:

  1. Sorry about you Mom. Keeping her memories alive is keen in the grieving process. My heart goes out to you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your Mom
    Memories of happy times will be with you always as will she.

    ReplyDelete