Search This Blog

Friday, December 6, 2019

December days are moving too fast

I have the best of intentions of writing an update to my blog and then I think, just wait and I will have something else to take a picture of... maybe a finished project?
And, then another passes without a post from me.
sigh
I  have a mission to get some of the Christmas fabric and projects used in quilts and wall hangings. A lot of it arrived here when we moved in 9 years ago.  I think my intentions at that time was to bring all my Christmas 'stuff' from home (we were still driving at the time) because we are here in December and it seemed to make more sense than having it back in my other house. But, I have never done much other than look at it every year.  Now, I am motivated and also overwhelmed with how much I actually have. 


This quilt top is done.  As usual, I make tops and then take them 'home' to my other house for quilting.  Since I travel by plane, my suitcase space is very limited and tops are much easier to get to there from here. This block was from Missouri Star, a free tutorial, and I used a set of 10" squares rather than 2 sets of charm packs.
The table runner is done, binding is stitched down... not too sure what happened to the finished picture... but it is almost finished.  I had issues with the free motion quilting on my Janome 6600 which is in need of a servicing.  This is a really old kit and fabric that I will guess is from 8 years ago?
Another quilt made from 10" squares.  This one is really simple but the fabric is pretty and I didn't want to cut it up too much.  I used the binding fabric to add a small border to get it a little larger so will be on the search for suitable binding once it is quilted.
Another set of 10" squares.  I debated about what to do with them and again, the fabrics were fun.  I think it is called "Ugly Christmas sweaters"?  I decided to add a 5" strip to the bottom of each square and then cut in half.  I started putting them on the design wall and then, when happy, stitched the blocks together.
I had a set of Christmas fat quarters from two different sources.  One was from a Fat Quarter Shop holiday box from 2018 and I found more funky fat quarters to add in and ended up with 20 fabrics.  This pattern is one of my favourite ways to make a quilt, square in a square, with minimal effort and it turns out great every time.
 There are some really cute fabrics in this quilt.

Then, for some crazy reason, I thought it would be fun to take a class here in our village with one of my quilting friends.  Her sample quilt looked like fun and so I signed up.  I didn't stop and think about how many half square triangles I had to make!!  And I like BIG blocks... not small blocks. However, I kept plugging away and my top is done, waiting for me to trim the edges and I think it is supposed to have an outer border.  Eventually, it will get finished but for now, am happy to be finished with half square triangles.  Even my machine was challenged to stitch smoothly over all those bumps!  All the seams are pressed open to reduce bulk but didn't help much!


We have had some crazy weather here... even hail one afternoon, along with rain and a tornado a few miles away.
And the requisite Christmas decor is happening slowly.  The boxes were dragged from the attic to the living room and am getting there when time allows.  Tennis is always an interruption!

The tree is trimmed and quilts and table runners are on display.  Our outside lights are up and look festive after dark. 
So, some stitching, lots of tennis, some rain, some Christmas happening here in the valley of the sun.







No comments:

Post a Comment