Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Busy with Christmas, tennis and our social life

The days are flying by this month.  My husband and I are celebrating our anniversary... a lot of years, 36 since we got married, but 42 since we have been been together.  Wow.  I am also thinking of mom today as it was one year ago that she died and sort of a bitter sweet day for me.
In memory of mom and for my husband, I baked my annual sausage rolls. Mom made these every Christmas and I have carried on the tradition after I moved out of our family home.
My sewing machine has been busy.  I have my borders on my Christmas tree wall hanging, although it is still not quilted and bound. This may become a UFO as I don't think it will get done this month.
And beside it is my newest project "Framed", a kit from Connecting Threads.  There are more blocks in a green colourway that are made.
But, I need a larger ruler to square them up.  I know, I could use the lines on my cutting mat but that is a painful way to trim large blocks and I have ordered a 20" ruler from Joann's at a great price.  This project is on hold until the ruler arrives.
I quilted a sweet quilt that was made by a good friend and she has it back for binding and then it will get donated to our sewing group here in the Village.
My blocks for my mystery quilt are done except I messed up with four of the flying geese and don't have extra fabric here so I will correct my boo-boo when I am back home.  All of the steps are done, the next clue will be how to assemble the blocks into the completed quilt top.
I made some some of the small buckets for a few gifts, both Christmas and some thank you's.
I also made some mug rugs or small table toppers.

And, in my other "spare" time, when I was not playing tennis, I trimmed 80+ blocks for the Sunland Stitchers raffle quilt and got them assembled into a top.  It is huge, 72 - 12" blocks put together for a king size quilt.  The great news is that I am not quilting it or binding it!!  Other volunteers are helping out with that and in January it will be used a fund raiser for our fibre arts building that we are trying valiantly to get built for us and the other groups that need a place to call their own.
I managed to get caught up on my CQA 52 blocks in 52 weeks and am only behind on today's block plus there will be 3 or 4 more to finish up the year. 
My goal this fall was to reduce all of the Christmas projects and fabric that I have on hand here in my 'other' home.  I have done well but not so sure that the fabric has been reduced!  But, I have completed a few quilt tops, runners, etc and so I should feel good about my efforts.  However, I did discover that I have a huge bag of strips and then found a hodge podge assortment of 10" squares.  I really think that they are from a swap with Quilter's funtalk... a yahoo group that I have belonged to since I first got a home computer, many years ago (more than 10+). I cut these squares into this wedge shape with a Missouri star ruler and this should be a simple quilt that will go together quickly although, also destined to be a UFO for 2020.

Am still knitting on a toque and working on a couple of felt ornaments and they are evening tv projects.
Tennis is happening regularly and today was our usual Tuesday morning, 7am practice and it was cold and windy.  Not complaining here because it is dry and it is sunny, but it is cold and our furnace is being turned on every evening.  Gives me a good chance to change out my wardrobe for long sleeve shirts and sweaters and also long pants and warm jackets, ear muffs and mittens!
Hoping I will be back here before Christmas but, just in case, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of my readers and friends. 





No comments:

Post a Comment