Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Two thirds gone, one third remaining of 2020

 Wow... four months left in the year to accomplish my quilting goals.  I know that many of us are just wanting the year over but, I am trying to stay positive and look at all this social distancing at home as quilting time.  I really thought I could make more of dent in my stash although I am not unhappy with everything I have accomplished so far.  

Theoretically, the weather gets a little wetter at this time of year so that means wet courts and less time spent playing tennis.  But, it also gets darker earlier and I have a hard time heading downstairs when I have to have all the lights on.  I guess I need to adjust. 

It is very improbable that we will be snowbirds anytime before 2021 but I am not guessing, just waking up every morning and waiting to see what the news brings.  Arizona is doing so much better with COVID but the border is still closed.  So, I wait and sew! 

Even though I was gone for a week in August, I almost met my monthly goals of finishing up 8 quilts.  All are quilted and bound.  

16 patch surrounded.  This is for Quilts of Valour.
My red and white that is also for Quilts of Valour
Flower power.  I cut the fabric in 10" squares and then did a double slice.  These are some very aged floral fabrics but, I didn't make a dent in the container. 
I had a kit... I didn't have a pattern.  I decided to play with the fabric by cutting it into strips and adding a white on each side which gave a bordered block effect.  I had lots of batiks left over from this kit.  So, I made another and added in a few fabrics from the batik container.

And, then a third batik quilt.  I don't think I reduced my batiks by very much but, at least I reorganized them.  I folded and fondled what I have and combined into fewer but larger containers.

I completed the quilting and binding on two quilts for friends who had made tops for Quilts of Valour and both are also completed including adding a label and getting them registered. 


Harry Potter is up next and I have started on the blocks.  I had collected some fabrics earlier in the year and decided to let them speak for themselves.  They are cut into 10" squares and then I am surrounding with a variety of colours of strips.  

You can also see the stack of preemie quilts that need to be spray basted and quilted.  I had hoped for August for these but didn't quite make the end of the month deadline.  They are next up in the list for September. 




And the colour of the month for Rainbow Scrap challenge for September is red.  I have already made my red bucket and organized my strips so am ready to go with making my blocks.  

I did make some brown RSC in August.  I had read that brown never gets picked so I added in the colour on my own. 



 And we were happy this week to see some of our animal friends across the street. 


And, I really have been working on my 3 ring binders of patterns... printed off over the last THIRTY years (maybe even longer?).  These binders are free for anyone who wants them or wants to look through them and see if there is something in there that piques your interest. I am still working through these darn things but so far 6 of them plus a box of patterns not in binders.  It is easier to leave the patterns in the plastic sleeves than take them out and have them loose.



My list for September is long but I have a retreat that I am planning on attending and that will be 3 days of pedal to the floor and hopefully, will get a few projects from container to hanger!  This is a crazy list but have gone through some containers and few of these are really old UFO's that don't need that much to finish them!

 

September  2020

1.   

1.       Quilt 5 preemies

2.       Cdn Happy Blocks

3.       RSC blocks: strip, medallion, 4 patch

4.       Harry Potter

5.       Twizzle (UFO)

6.       Ohio Star (UFO)

7.       Solstice (UFO)

8.       Aunt Gracie’s charms (UFO)

9.       Autumn bunting

10.   Stepping Stones red

11.   Mors bags: food  themes

12.   Hourglass pinwheel strip (UFO)

13.   10 min tablerunner (UFO)

14.   Autumn table runner – Shabby fabrics

15.   All Hallow’s even charms

16.   October Scarecrow

17.   Row by Row 2016 moose scenic (UFO)

18.   Hot pads – jelly roll/rope

19.   Mystery step 2 Meadowland

20.   Canadian fabrics 3 yd quilt

21.   FVMQG: quilt #1

22.   FVMQG: quilt #2

23.   FVMQG: Make #1

24.   FVMQG: Make #2

25.   Bright Jelly roll

26.   Diamond tote bag

27.   Start an embroidery project

28.   Start a knitting project

No comments:

Post a Comment