Search This Blog

Thursday, April 15, 2021

Mid April 2021

 Sometimes, it feels like time is standing still and nothing is changing or happening and that is probably a result of the pandemic?  Other times, the days and weeks spin by and I wonder where time goes?  Maybe this is all age related and as we get older, time does fly by and yet, we are still living in the same place, doing the same things and having good days and bad days.  

I feel like the last two weeks has passed me by but then I look at my list that I had at the end of my last blog and I don't feel so bad. 

1. Quilt the next 5 quilt tops  NOT DONE

2. Make a jelly roll quilt for the Heartstrings April challenge  TOP IS COMPLETED

3. Work on cutting some 3/5 yard quilts, also a challenge from my Heartstrings group but have until June to accomplish stitching them into quilts.  I ordered a couple of the books with the patterns and they just arrived so will start pulling fabrics and cutting some kits for myself.  I    HAVE 5 PREEMIE TOPS READY FOR QUILTING

4. Make a pattern from Mary's website - one more challenge from the Heartstrings group.  They figured out that if you made one of her patterns per month, you would be busy for 9 years!  I am cutting the hearts using my accuquilt and will make her wonky heart log cabins from them.NOTHING ACCOMPLISHED WITH THIS GOAL

5. Would love to work on my t-shirt quilt.  The bin of t-shirts is constantly being moved and it is becoming annoying.  I AM LAUGHING - THE CONTAINER HASN'T MOVED OR CHANGED

6. Start making some preemie quilts for the local NICU at our hospital. SEE #3

7. Polka dot quilt using fabrics set aside SEE #3

8. finish the 'field day' that I started at retreat in early March NOPE

So, I started off with this quilt - preemie size - 30" x 36"  . My inspiration was from Modern Views by Donna Robertson of Fabric Cafe. The  pattern name is Illusions.  However, I modified the size of the block to be 6" finished because that makes an easy way to get the quilt to the right size and uses 30 blocks.  I started off with the polka dot fabric and had pulled a variety of fabrics to go with it.  The first one I made used red and orange fabrics.

I made a second one using blues and green fabrics.
And because I was just flying blind making these blocks and wanted to use up as much fabric as possible, I took the leftover blocks from the first two quilts and made a few more blocks to end up with quilt top #3.  I have none of the blue, orange or polka dot fabric left.  A great way to use the fabrics and love this block pattern.
That motivated me to dig out some yardage from a bin of kid's fabrics and try to use some of that fabric in another quilt.  Pink monkeys and flowers. 


And a fifth quilt top got put together using some funky blues and yellows. 

In the midst of working on the 3 yard quilts, I finally made a decision on the Heartstrings jelly roll challenge for April and chose a pattern.  I knew I wanted to use the 5" black Canada fabric and figured out that the jelly roll twist pattern from the Fat Quarter shop would be a logical choice and I went ahead and put this top together. 

So 5 preemie and 1 quilt of valour tops are made and waiting to be quilted and bound.  Not too bad for a week of cutting and stitching.  

In the meantime, I also had to stop and wind bobbins and clean my machine.  Plus, after all of this effort, I managed to vacuum my entire sewing area and do a little dusting, wipe down my cutting mats and went into my bunker and put away some EMPTY baskets and containers.  

The 5 preemies are spray basted with batting and backing and now I will spend my next few days getting them quilted and off to the local NICU. 


No comments:

Post a Comment