Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2022

January 13th but it is Thursday - maybe a lucky day for me?

 I am impressed with myself because I am writing a blog post one week after the last one and I actually got a few more projects started with minimal finished.  I worked diligently on my solid colours jelly roll strip to create stratas for the next block/quilt that I making.  I have no idea how many I need or will use but stitched up all of the strips into sets of four.

And, I thought I would lay them out ready to sew.  And I did stitch them.  BIG MISTAKE!
This is how they are supposed to look!  Ooops... a lot of frogstitching while watching back episodes of Yellowstone (yes, we are hooked on the series).

I still have a few more blocks to add the white background to but am laying them out carefully and double checking before the blocks get stitched.  I am NOT going to make the same mistake twice!


The Cool Water quilt finally got a good pressing and has been folded and set aside for the suitcase trip home in March. 

I did make my PBJ (Patterns by Jen) block for January.  The theme this year is spicy and this month it is saffron.  I didn't know saffron was orange although, I guess I should have since I used to cook with it frequently after a trip to Spain in the 1970's.  I can still picture the small, expensive tube of saffron threads that I cherished and used carefully. I am making two blocks, reversed light and darks.


I bought some fabric from a sad garage sale last week.  It is sad because dear Sally cannot return to live here in our village and must stay home for dialysis.  Sally was someone I knew from quilting and will miss her dearly... she had a great smile!  Her friends decided to sell off her fabrics and there was a lot of flannel... wow, loads of it but I have no way to get it from here to home easily so had to pass by that great deal.  However, I was looking for a print that would work for preemie and toddler quilts and these butterflies were perfect.  I pulled out some coordinating fabrics and began cutting squares and strips (because I only have 3 other projects on the go at the moment?).  
This is what I am planning with this fabric.

My stack of Happy Blocks is finished.  Now I have to decide on a size for the quilt tops and should I add in some of my leftover 10" blocks of Thomas the Train fabrics to the quilts?

I continued to make more of these blocks because I wanted the quilt a little larger.

Because this is a 5 yard quilt, there is still some fabric left because the original pattern had 2 borders.  I think I will add one border to get the quilt a little wider and longer.  These are 8" blocks finished and I would like it to be at least 55" wide. 
So, stitching continues with an hour here and another half hour there.  Every bit counts and I am progressing slowly but of course, far more ideas than time.

No comments:

Post a Comment