Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2022

End of June is 4 days away with a little progress made towards my goals.

 

June goals: 

1. Label and bind 9 quilts  (ended up 11 quilts finished)

2. Finish quilting 3 quilts that are ready and waiting: 1 waiting

3. Make cat quilt top and get ready for quilting: blocks made, time for design wall

4. Layout the jelly roll/charm blocks Elementary and stitch together

5. Layout the Cool Water blocks and stitch together

6. Layout the half square triangles of brown, beige and red and stitch together needs a border

7. Work on March RSC blocks (half done)

8. Work on April RSC blocks: half done 

9. Layout and stitch the 15" Farmer's wife blocks from RSC 2021 and stitch together.

10. Patterns by Jen: block for June, mustard

11.  Cut batting, make backings for: Penny's bear paws, Survivor #2, 16 Patch RSC, Elementary jelly roll/charm quilt, Cool water in browns, 

12. Blocks for Quilt of Valour that I started playing with after a visit to Pinterest

13. Make hug blocks for CQA quilt show

14. Dig out Modern guild projects in bags and finish for donation 

15. RSC April and May blocks 

16. RSC June blocks - blue

17. Layout and stitch together RSC 2021 star blocks 

I am not doing too badly with my June goals and I have added more to the list since the beginning of the month.  My goal for the last few days of the month are 

1. Cut batting and make backings for 10 quilt tops.  I might only work on the first 5? Same as #11 but more quilt tops are now in the queue.

2. Finish the blue RSC blocks and I will be up to date for 2022!  I like using the Missouri paper for the string blocks and have had to order some since my stock of it is gone/used up!  It is a fine tissue paper that makes a 10" block (unfinished).  

3. Cut some 3 yard quilts and make kits for quick projects. 

4. Sort out and tidy up my scrap bins.  I like to store my scraps by colour but I also have a light and dark bin for log cabin blocks.  It is time to make a scrappy log cabin block quilt because those bins are overflowing. 

5. I have a few blocks that I would like to play with: Sew Preeti block, 10" friendship star, churn dash challenge, log cabin by Susie Stukis, are all ones from blogs or Pinterest.

6. Burn camp pillowcases though this might go on the July list of things to do.

My husband has a colonoscopy and gastrocopy scheduled for this week... same day as my birthday (groan).  What a (not) lovely way to celebrate though we are happy that he has this appointment as it is the first step (again) in looking for a internal bleed to answer why he is not able to manufacture red blood cells.  

In the last two weeks, I finally got all of my blocks that were waiting into finished quilt tops.  The pile of tops needing pressing grew as I ignored it and kept on stitching. 

My main goal this week was gardening and attacking weeds while the ground was still wet from weeks of rain and before it hardened in the predicted heat wave this weekend.  However, I was determined to press a few of these each evening. The stars from 2021 Rainbow scrap challenge is now a top and neatly pressed and folded and on a hanger.

This cat themed Turning Twenty quilt is pressed, folded and hanging, patiently waiting for the quilting.
I copied the Cool Water pattern shown in the last post but used red, creams and browns.
These were half square triangles made from 10" squares.  Lots of bias edges.  I made lots of blocks last fall and had too many leftover from that quilt to ignore so, made more!  I am ok with how I laid these blocks out but I later saw a different layout that would have been awesome.  Maybe next time?
This top was made from a jelly roll and charm pack of a line of fabric called Elementary.  My heartstrings group had jelly rolls as a challenge for June so this will count as me participating with success.  
Another Rainbow scrap challenge from 2021.  It was 16 patch blocks made each month and a great way to use up those 3" squares in a variety of colours.
I saw this quilt pattern pictured on Pinterest and figured out how to make the blocks.  I used Northcott Oh Canada fabric and it will be a Quilt of Valour.
Hug blocks for Quilts of Valour were stitched up and turned in at Quilt Canada.  I read today that I did NOT win the sewing machine prize.  It was one entry per block made.  These blocks go into quilts made from donations across Canada and the finished quilts contain blocks from a variety of locations throughout our country for injured Canadian Armed forces members.  Hugs blocks are a continuing project and the only requirements is that they are 9.5" unfinished and that you make them only using Northcott Oh Canada fabrics.  This is the tenth year of Northcott producing these fabrics and they all coordinate with each other. 
I attended Quilt Canada in downtown Vancouver and it was fun day.  A group of us took the West Coast express (a commuter train) that makes 3 trips into Vancouver in the morning and 3 return trips beginning in late afternoon. I think the term 'express' comes from only a few stops but it is a really easy way to get into the city with fabulous west coast scenery along the way.  I didn't take many pictures because I knew that others would and it is easy to find websites with pictures by using google.  However, there were two that really caught my eye.  Love the Canadian maple leaf.  She based her idea on the Jen Kingswell quilts but created her own blocks and shapes. 

This quilt spoke to me.  The workmanship was incredible but the message was clear and her choice of piecing, fabrics and quilting was amazing.  A truly talented quilter.

The husband of one of our group of 4 had offered to buy us all lunch on the waterfront so we took a break and enjoyed the sights and sounds of our city. *Thank you Al*  We were so lucky with the weather and enjoyed sunshine and great food.  The float planes were coming and going and there were two massive cruise ships docked in the harbour which meant loads of tourists roaming around, all with cameras in their hands.

This week I took a break from quilting because I knew that I had to take advantage of the break from the rain, before our predicted heat wave, to get some gardening done.  First up was to weed my rose garden and cut myself some lovely roses. 

I also cut some peonies to enjoy in the house.

We headed into the Fraser Valley health region facility last weekend to get our second booster for Covid and while this is not a great picture, anyone local will recognize the waiting area after your jab. 

With the drier weather, tennis was played every morning this week.  It is has been a long time since we played for 5 mornings in a row.  However, after weeding each day, I worked on getting caught up on Rainbow scrap challenge for 2022.  Green is the colour for May and these got made. 

Plus, decorating for Canada day is done.

The pink RSC blocks got made and up on the wall along with the yellow blocks so I could see how they will go together. 

And the pink strings are finished as well.(April)

I finished this quilt earlier this month and hand stitched the binding down during the Abbotsford quilt guild meeting.  This block was a demonstration by Carola on her blog Carola Quilts and I found a layer cake that I really had no idea what to use it for.  I teamed it up with some gray that I bought for a great price at Jackie's Little Quilt shop in the woods and in the end, am happy with the results. 
I have bolts of backings ready to cut today for the quilts on hangers that are patiently waiting.
Quilts on hangers, pressed and ready and waiting.
And finally, my eldest grandson is 25 today!!  Which means I am turning 75 in the next few days.  Fifty years ago this guy came into my life and he was a great addition to our family.  Happy Birthday to Devin.
That is enough time on the computer for me this morning.  I know if I made shorter posts and posted more often, it would be less time consuming but I always have one thing I want to finish before I sit down and write the blog.  Happy Summer to all.  Sunshine is here with a bit too much heat but mid week, we drop back to normal with more of the wet stuff heading our way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment