Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Almost mid July? How did that happen?

 I realized that today is the 12th of July... in three days, it will be mid month?  I have been puttering my time away although I have some finished projects to report.  My June task lists have been updated and basically what is there is what I have been working on with nothing new added in other than a 3 yard quilt that I decided to work on along with my Rainbow scrap challenge blocks from 2021. 

My blue blocks for June were finished. 

I spent an afternoon cutting batting and making backings for the next set of quilts waiting to be quilted.  There is a total of 10 in the stack.
The papers I wanted from Missouri Star arrived in a very timely manner... one week from there to here so my blue RSC challenge for June 2022 is complete.
I participate in a monthly challenge, Patterns by Jen and this is the purple for Purple Sumac and I make two, alternating the light and dark. 
The colour for RSC July is also purple so was great to already have my scraps bins out and I got both the blocks done for this month.

Quilt #1 for July is quilted and binding is made, ready for the last step. This is a Turning Twenty using fat quarters of cat fabrics and is for one of my grandchildren who happens to be the proud owner of a kitten.
The Rainbow scrap challenge friendship stars from 2021 is now quilted and waiting for binding (which is made). Quilt #2 for July.
Then a break from quilting to make pillowcases for kids heading to burn camp put on by our firefighters.  The request was for some suitable fabrics for teenage boys so I dug deep.  I made 8 and while I was working on them, was thinking about a container that has sport themed fabrics in it and that got dug out and opened.  More pillowcases cut and stitched up for a total of 16.  A variety of fabrics and a couple in there that are girly though, who is to say that a girl wouldn't like a sport themed case?
Quilt #3 is quilted and this was again, an RSC 2021 block made throughout the year as the colours were announced each month.  The binding for this one is also made!
A finished quilt but not by me.  I made the top last winter and a local quilter, Dianne, quilted it and did a porch drop off this morning.  She also does the binding... what a great long arm quilter to have donating her time to quilt for Quilts of Valour.  This is a 3 yard quilt called Pretty Please although I made it larger than the pattern and used both blue and red blocks where the pattern called for one fabric for all those larger pieces. 
I laid out my string blocks from  RSC 2021 and am figuring out how to make it wider without making it two blocks wide.. one block will be perfect so will cut blocks in half and add to the outside of the rows to make it a little bit wider.
I have put this panel on my design wall and would like to build around it to make a quilt but am feeling a bit stymied as to what I want to do.  I have a lot of rail fence blocks made from a previous RSC  in browns and oranges and wondering if I can make that work or just keep adding borders until I get it to the size I want for a Quilt of Valour?  I might google the panel and see what others have done with it?
At the end of June, I celebrated a birthday and am now offically, three quarters of a century old!  My awesome friend in California sent me these lovely flowers and I must say, they made me feel special and put a big smile on my face. 
Here is one more quilt #4 that has been quilted in July and binding is made, added to the stack for finishing.
Warm, summer weather has arrived and it is strange but lovely to wake up to sunshine and dry roads in the morning.  That means daily tennis which means some great exercise to start the day.
Last week we had a crew arrive to replace our deck.  It was original to the house and was worn out although we had painted it a few times.  I couldn't get it clean and it was wearing through and to protect our plywood underneath, we knew we needed to just get the job done.  The weather cooperated and the surface is done.  It looks lovely.  Unfortunately, nothing ever runs smoothly with these jobs and the fellow doing our railings had forgotten to order them?  They are now ordered and we should see some railings up by the end of the month.  It is a bit scary to walk out there with nothing around the edge so I tried to situate our furniture to remind us to not go any closer. 

We have been having visitors across the street from our driveway this week.  Both bucks and does have been feasting on the new growth of grass and leaves.  You can just barely see him through the tall grass. 


My latest project is playing with another 3 yard quilt although I will again use a little more fabric than a yard of each to make a larger quilt.  This one is called Urban Chic.  I know I have a few more quilt tops to quilt but Long Arm quilter Dianne picked up three of them to quilt for Quilts of Valour which made my pile slightly smaller.  I had 10 quilts waiting, have quilted 4 and Dianne took 3 so that leaves me 3 to work on which is a great feeling as that is very doable in the next week. 



I am wishing you all lovely summer weather here in the northern hemisphere and hopefully in our province, with the amount of rain we had this spring, not a lot of forest fires to deal with in the coming weeks.  Stay safe and enjoy your time inside and outside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment