Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Last week of July and lots of pieced tops are ready for quilting

 A busy two weeks since I last posted.  These pictures won't be in a great order but you will get the idea of what I have been doing.  First, the Rainbow scrap challenge stars from 2021 is now bound and ready for donation to Quilts of Valour.

My grandson's quilt is bound and ready to give to him. The pattern is Turning Tweny.   The first picture is a close up of the cat fabrics.

I made these blocks during 2021 as another choice for the Rainbow scrap challenge and quite like the way it turned out.  The blocks are larger 15" finished so the quilt only needed 20 blocks to be a good size for donation. 
Elementary is bound and this was a charm pack and a jelly roll from this line of fabrics with a few of my own stash fabrics added in. 
I took some time and covered my large ironing board with a wool batt and then some fabric from my stash (leftover from backing a quilt) and am very pleased with the result.  I really had to get this done as I had a stack of pieced tops piled on a chair that needed their final pressing. 
One more 2021 Rainbow scrap challenge quilt top made from my strip baskets every month.  
The rail fences are also from 2021 scrap challenge and the blocks are now put together into a top, waiting for quilting.
This is a 3 yard quilt called Urban Chic and I use some Canadian prints for the white and the gray with the red fabric for contrast.  It is now residing on a hanger, waiting its turn in the quilting pile.
During 2021, I participated in the Patterns by Jen monthly challenge.  These are all blocks that used colours based on various fruits and vegetables.  Included were eggplant, lemon, yam, cherries, potato, pumpkin, lime, mushroom, pineapple, grapefruit, blueberries and green olives. 
A 3 yard quilt that is actually one of my favourite to make: Town Square and a Canadian print is in the center of the blocks.
Nine plus One is the name of this 3 yard quilt and I used a variety of leftover fabrics that had a Canadian theme to them for the plan blocks.
I made a 3 yard quilt, Sew Quick and didn't have enough of the main moose fabric that I was using to had to add in another fabric and I chose the Mountie hats. 



I have been piecing like crazy and Stepping Stones got cut and stitched.  These patterns are so quick to make and the piecing methods are simple and easy.  
I like to have a project as my leaders and enders when I sew and earlier this year, I pulled out an assortment of fat quarters that I really didn't know what I was going to use for projects.  If you add one more lighter or darker fabric to go with them, then the St. Louis 16 patch is the simplest and easiest pattern to make.  I have a stack of fabrics cut and ready to stitch to make lots of blocks. 
One step closer to having our patio finished.  The railings got installed but if you look carefully, that isn't clean glass in there, there is no glass!  We went with the darker railings rather than white and am glad I made that choice because I really like the black.  One day, glass will arrive and be installed but at least this is safer than no railings at all.

There are a few days left in this month.  Weather is extremely hot here with many warnings throughout the day to avoid being outside plus, our air quality is awful due to smoke from forest fires.  We are managing to play tennis early which is a feat because our main courts are torn up while they completely re-do them plus the heat so early mornings are essential.  

I have a few projects that I want to make an effort to clean up before next Monday.  I have 3 quilts that are still waiting for quilting and binding.  There are also some projects from the Modern guild that I need to get out and look at and see what is needed to finish those.  Of course, all the tops I showed in this post now need battings cut and backings made but I am in no rush.  I need to decide where some will be donated before I work on the backings.  

The gardens call my name for weeding and the last few days, watering.  Lots of zucchini and cucumbers are growing and finally, some carrots and beets that are large enough to eat.  

For my Canadian friends, enjoy the long weekend and stay safe.  For my local friends, stay cool and hydrated and hopefully, figure out how to get a good sleep in the heat. 

2 comments:

  1. So many colorful projects, you are a productive gal!
    Your view is stunning. We're planning a trip out to BC the last week of August to see my brother, ...can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You never know what our weather will be like but likely, end of August can be really nice.

    ReplyDelete