Follow by Email

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Switching to some new projects.

For the last year I have been playing with new techniques, new rulers and making Quilts of Valour.  Ten quilts were picked up on Thursday and are heading to Cold Lake, Alberta to be handed out to injured soldiers.
The rest of the quilts I have on hand for QOV are ready to head to a trunk show next month in Chilliwack and then will be delivered to both CFB Chilliwack and CFB Jericho for distribution within BC to our deserving soldiers. 
It is time for me to take a break and play with some of my children's fabrics and make some preemie quilts for the local hospital. 

This last quilt that I have finished is not a UFO, not a QOV, just a simple, fun quilt made from a cake plate and my tumbler ruler.  I did quilt it 'modern' style, which I must say, takes forever and you need to concentrate!!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Almost there.

I am so close to having all the tops quilted and bound that I had made during my winter months in the south.  There were a few tops tucked away here at home as well that needed to be completed. 

This past week, I managed to get three more added to the pile of finished quilts. 
The first quilt is a yellow brick road made from flannels that were from a bundle of half metre pieces that I 'think' I purchased at Quiltopia in Maple Ridge.  Am guessing it was about 4 years ago?  I had cut up the pieces into fat quarters, added my own flannels as well and made both the Iced Tea quilt as well as this one.  A nice, soft, flannel quilt for someone that needs some comfort.  My flannel pile has gone down in size! 

These hexies are made using a half hexie ruler that I purchased from Missouri Star quilting company after I watched her video on U Tube.  Was simple, fun and a great way to use up more of my Aunt Gracie and reproduction fabrics.  Thanks to Julie for quilting this for me.  This will be sent to Quilts of Valour for an injured military member.

Using the same half hexie ruler as above, I cut lights and darks and arranged them in an alternating pattern.  Super simple, and again, a great way to use up some of those scraps of fabric that you can't find another use for.  This worked great with fat quarters. Thank you to Connie for quilting this top so that we could make another Quilt of Valour donation. 

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Three more UFO's are finito!

I have had a fairly busy few weeks working on finishing up more of my UFO's.  My grandson has been having seizures so have spent quite a bit of time at the hospital but it is nice to come home and work on quilting or binding to take my mind off the poor guy. 

The first one is a fairly old UFO.  I think it is about 9 years ago that I attended one of Kasey's retreat in Sechelt, the last one before they condemned the building we were using.  These were blocks I won in a lottery she held.

I am sure I found a top in a pile of fabric and odds and ends that were on a table at my Sunland Stitchers meeting and it was some charm squares sewn together.  I cut a bunch more Thimbleberries fabrics and added to it to make it large enough for a Quilt of Valour. 

Jaybird Quilts really inspires me.  I really enjoy her blog and her refreshing views on quilting.  This was made using one of her rulers which was impossible to find here in the lower mainland so ended up special ordering though Hamel's fabrics.  Having the ruler made it much easier and faster. The strips were all from my strip bin and the blacks from my black/white prints bin.  This was a project from last summer so not quite a year old, a young UFO!  And, best part, I didn't have to shop for any of these projects.  They all used up fabric that I had on hand. 

All will be donated to Quilts of Valour here in B.C. and Alberta.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Gorgeous weather in the Pacific Northwest

Our weather is fabulous and we are much hotter than normal temperatures.  Warmer weather actually helps me to find quilting time.  When it is hot outside, my basement is lovely and cool and perfect for machine quilting.

This is a finished quilt that is the last of the quilts I have made using the 6" squares of fabric that we swapped in my Wednesday Diva group.  They were supposed to be squares of fabric that was 'what was I thinking' from our stash and we swapped every week for months.  I lost track of how many squares we ended up with but I have made a few quilts using them.  This is the last one! 

I have rewritten my list of quilt tops left for quilting and binding and it has decreased drastically from what I had at the beginning of April.  It will be nice to get these all done and then I can play with new patterns and ideas.  Soon.... my goal is to be finished with all my quilting by the end of this month.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Quilting along, slow and steady.

Two more quilts are finished that I brought home as flimsys from my winter quilting. 

My purple and green quilt isn't a very old UFO.  It was made from lots of old fabrics in my stash of purples and greens but I began the cutting and stitching late last summer.  It is quilted and bound and perfect for a lover of these colours. 

My second quilt is one more of the baby quilts made from my Aunt Gracie fabrics.  The fabrics have been in my stash for over 15 years so it feels good to finally get some projects made from them.  I love the term vintage modern and am applying it to this quilt.