Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Mid July and feeling a little bit ahead and a little bit behind?

Some days are busy with appointments for my husband who is still being tested to see if they can determine why he is so anemic with extremely low hemoglobin.  Yesterday was the dreaded prep for today's colonoscopy and honestly, sometimes it would be easier if I was having the tests, not him! However, we are home and I decided that an update to my blog would be a good afternoon activity.

I have two tops that got finished last week and are in the 'to be quilted' pile.  My disappearing 9 patch and my churn dash blocks are assembled in to quilt tops.

And some finishes!  Time to celebrate.  The good news about most of my finishes is that they are not UFO's but projects that have been started fairly recently. This is the flower shoppe, set on point.  I added more strips to the jelly roll that I started with to make the top a little larger.
The Corner cabin quilt from the Fat Quarter shop is also finished and ready for donation.
I took the last of the RSC blocks (rainbow strip challenge) from last year and added white to create some half square triangles.  This also doubled the number of blocks I had and then I had to make a few more blocks.  I didn't have any yellow left so made a few of those.  Once I laid out the blocks, it was a decent size for a donation quilt and that finished up those blocks!
Then I made my RSC blocks for July 2019.  The colour for this month is pink.  Done!
 These are the blocks that I have made so far this year:

One of my projects that I listed on the Finish Along challenge for the 3rd quarter of the year was to make a pattern called Beehive using jolly bars from the Fat Quarter shop.  This was fabric and pattern from an earlier quilty box that I subscribed to last winter.  When I looked at the pattern and then other patterns using jolly bars (5" x 10") rectangles, none of them would make a decent size quilt without a lot of background.  I went into the depths of my basement storage and found a container that had another set of jolly bars that coordinated fairly well with the package I had. I totally scrapped the pattern that I was supposed to make and joined the jolly bars and then laid them out in a simple rail fence that will be a good size for a donation quilt.  These are the blocks made so far this year:




And from another quilt box is a project called Sunrise.  I was trying to avoid making the curved seam blocks and then challenged myself to 'just do it'.  So, have started and I managed to get all the cutting done during the gentlemen's final game at Wimbledon ( it went on for hours). 
And some of the blocks started and on the design wall.
But, my big push during tennis games this weekend was to get all of my 10" happy blocks stitched into tops for We Care, our guild donation program.  I have pieced the tops and quilted some of them and have done binding by machine on a few and have the binding stitched on to be hand stitched down on a couple.  There are three left waiting to be quilted and bound.  DONE!  All 170 blocks are in quilt tops.  Another WHEW!


I did have another quilt that I finished the binding on - the double slice 10" squares is now in the donation pile.
And something that makes me happy.  I seem to have lists on clipboards, calendar of things to remember and do and lots of paperwork that surrounds my computer, covers my coffee table and generally looks messy.  So, this morning, between tennis and picking up husband at the hospital, I popped into Michaels and bought another one of their carts.  And, as I was getting help to get one down from 'way up there', the gal mentioned that I had chosen one of the newest colours to arrive in the store and of course, I love it!  I have it put together and loaded all my 'stuff' onto it.  Now I can hopefully keep paperwork, washi tape, stickers and lists plus calendars contained and wheel it to where I want to use it. 
A few days ago, I loaded a list with pictures of projects that I hope to finish in the next 3 months.  Will I or will I get distracted by fun, new things to make?  Time will tell. 








2 comments:

  1. So many beautiful projects, all so happy and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! These quilts are so similar to the last ones I quilted for our local quilt guild! Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete