Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

End of January 2020 and pushing to finish up some projects

I managed to get some blocks sewn together to create three tops to take home, ready for quilting and donation.
My kit from Connecting Threads is done.
Sorry that you have to turn your head sideways?  That doesn't usually happen with my pictures. 
I also made a smaller quilt top from a stack of 10" Christmas themed fabrics.  I had cut these in December but hadn't laid them out and stitched them.  This top looks like it could use another border, maybe two?
I also got my Heartstrings January challenge blocks made and top completed.  The challenge was to use a "bundle" and I found one in my stash but it needed more fabrics added to give me the 20 fabrics for this quilt pattern.This is one of the easiest ways to use fat quarters. The original bundle only had 6 fat quarters so I pulled out another 14 to go with!  This might have ended up a little more pink that I intended but it is done!


The rainbow scrap challenge for February colour has been released and it is orange so, I had to stop everything, make a bucket for my scraps and be ready.  Ooops, I goofed and put the decor bond on the back of my two orange fabrics and it is only goes on the outer fabric so, I made two!  Now I will have one to take back home with me.  I was surprised that I have very few orange scraps but I know the bucket will be too small for all the orange scraps at home.
The Fraser Valley Modern quilt guild showed a picture of a Morsbag and encouraged us to make some in an effort to reduce our use of plastic.  I have always shopped with my own bags but made another bag to use.  I looked through my stash for a fun fabric and this lollipop fabric was all I could find to use.  There is a lack of novelty fabrics on the shelves.  But, I will NOT buy more!
The blocks for the Australian modern guild are ready to mail.  They are to be 12.5" squares but prefer them to oversized so that they can trim them accurately.  I have the raw edge stitching done and now to package and head to the post office.
We had some outside work to do last weekend.  Our grapefruit tree had been hit by lightening last summer and the main trunk of the tree had been split open.  So, major pruning was in order and a good friend came over with his chain saw.  And the fun began plus, the clean up afterwards.  But, it looks  much better and lot smaller!


On Monday, I was lucky enough to have a ticket to an event/lecture/trunk show with Rob Appell, the man quilter.  He was amazing.  We laughed and were awed by his stories and history of how he began working in his mother's quilt show in Morrow Bay and from there accidentley became a quilter.  His journey was interesting and very inspiring.  He was adamant that we all need to work with our hands to tap into our creative side and keep us grounded... can be woodworking, tattoo artist, knitting, painting as well as quilting. Anything that involves our hands.  His work is incredible. And, on stage, he is like an energizer bunny!  Boundless energy and enthusiasm that you can't help but admire.





 This last quilt picture raised $25000 to help veterans who are waiting for the government to go through their paperwork and get them into the system.  Apparently, this can take over a year and these families have no income or help during this time.  He timed his contribution perfectly because it was matched by Proctor and Gamble ending up as a $50 000 donation to the cause. 
 Thanks to Monte Vista quilters who organized this event.  Quilters from all over the valley attended.  And thank you to Debb in our quilting group here in the village for helping us to get our tickets. 





1 comment:

  1. Wow!! You are a quilting MACHINE! :o))
    Thanks for sharing those lovely projects and your time with Rob Appell.

    ReplyDelete