Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Two weeks into 2020 and lots of pictures for you.

I seemed to get off to a slow start, but what is new?  I did tidy and organize my sewing room and went through projects, updating my ufo list.
This is our ninth year in this house and I brought fabric and projects with me from our previous home.  I think I am doing ok but some of these projects are meant to be either finished or banished forever.
I am in the process of stitching these blocks together... they have been on my design wall for a month!
My first project of 2020 was to pull out these zip pouches that have been residing in a plastic bag for over 2 years.  I also had some that I made in the fall while we were still at home... the kits were on sale for a great price at Connecting Threads.  Unfortunately, the kits didn't include the zippers and I had to wait until I could shop for them before I could make these.






The original instructions called for making 4 pouches and I ended up with 14 of them!  That meant scrounging for linings and extra fabric for the backs but I did it. And all of them have a label attached.  These will be gifts for friends, doorprizes for guild and if someone really wants one, let me know!
My heartstrings group that I belong to online chooses a precut of the month to work with... this month 'bundles' were chosen.  I went through what I had on here, not much in the way of bundles but did find a small one.
Six fat quarters aren't really enough for a decent size quilt but it was a good starting point.  I went through my container(s) of fat quarters and pulled out more to end up with enough to make an adult size donation quilt.
I think I know which pattern I want to use but might change my mind.  I still have 15 days to get a top made.  Lots of time!
The rainbow scrap challenge online chose green as the colour for January.  First, I dug out my plastic bag of green fabric bits.  I had seen a pattern for making fabric buckets from 2 fat quarters so that was my first project.
Then I filled it, and it was way too full!  So, I decided to get busy with making blocks with my scraps.  First, I made some string blocks.  I am not sure why I made 9... not a very good number and 8 will probably be a better number.
With the wild fires in Australia, I responded to the call of the modern guild there to make tree blocks.  There are loads of free patterns available and I started off with one idea, added in a second and then a third.  The blocks still need some raw edge stitching on the applique but that will get done this week and I can get them in the mail.
I have two more of the block on the right.  They are asking for oversize blocks so that they can trim them down to an accurate 12.5" size.  Their goal is to make a quilt for every family that lost their home to the fires. Five blocks isn't very many but I have a feeling that there are a lot of quilters around the world making blocks.

After I made my green bucket, I decided to make one for my neutrals and then my browns, since I had dug around in my plastic bags.
I found a few more blocks that I wanted to make for the RCS.... since I have so darn many green scraps. This one uses a lighter and darker 2.5" strip.
Then I saw a picture on Pinterest (spend way too much time on there).   Sort of a kind of shadow box.
And, yet, another one I tried. These quilts have been all over various groups I belong to and I actually have the book with the original pattern but the two pictures I copied use different techniques.  I like this one and so will stick with it.  Great use of 5" squares.




And now, my green bucket is far too full but am out of blocks to make. Where did all these bits come from? 

I finally found Michael's this week... they moved from the location that they were in since we moved here.  And, even better, I got one of my favourite storage carts and it was on sale for $29... in Canada, I paid $69 so this was a great price.
And, I ordered this cupholder with trash bag that is really for taking to retreats but it holds my wool pincushion perfectly!
So, busy two weeks but not much to show other than my zip pouches.  But, two weeks to get my bundle top made and mail off my blocks to Australia.



6 comments:

  1. Oooh, so much to ponder and admire! I do LOVE your cute little zipper pouches, they look gorgeous all standing together. And then of course the buckets you made for your scraps, such a nice design and not too fiddly to make, it seems. Lastly, the chandelier blocks are so lovely. This design is on my Bucket List for RSC, not thus year but maybe later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've found lots of fun things to do with your green scraps this month! They do seem to multiply though, don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEW many wonderful GREEN projects!! I really like those fabric buckets that you made. Would you share the tutorial that you used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pattern from Two Sisters designs and I found the download from the Fat Quarter shop. It is called Fat Quarter buckets.

      Delete
  4. Love all your green projects
    I am making a chandelier quilt but never thought to do by color. I just pull, cut and sew. Maybe I need to visit my greens and oranges.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many ideas running around in my head for patterns and blocks for the RSC and so many scraps although was surprised at how few orange scraps in my sewing room here in Arizona. However, I know the scraps at home are overflowing the container there so might have to do more orange blocks in April after we are home.

    ReplyDelete