Search This Blog

Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas day 2020

 There are two of us for Christmas dinner but a small, stuffed turkey is roasting and there are yams in orange sauce (thank you Betty Crocker), brussel sprouts, potatoes for mashing, and gravy will be made and, possibly, one more veggie.  

The baking is done and I forgot to take pictures but, we have decorated sugar cookies, Christmas cake (yum), brownies, Dot's cherry squares with fluffy icing, mince tarts,Grandma J's butterhorns (½ recipe) and shortbread.  And of course, sausage rolls in the fridge. Normally, at this time of year, I would have my 3 tiered cake plate on the dining room table full of goodies but with two of us, containers with lids is better for keeping everything fresh. 

So, am hoping that I will get a good week of stitching in from now until the end of the year?  I do have a few finishes that were close when I posted 10 days ago and are now finished. The first one is a quilt that I saw on Creatin in the Sticks and figured the block wouldn't be hard to make.  It had to be set on point because it looked "not so good" with a straight set.  This was a set of jelly rolls that I really didn't know what to do with.  If I did it again, I would leave out the outside white row on each block. This Jelly roll was quite old so glad to have it used up.

My cookie cut quilt.  I love this quilt... well, I love the fabrics! I used the "Carolyn" block of cutting and stitching fat quarters and had to add in a few extras to get to the right size.  These fat quarters were in a Fat Quarter Christmas box a few years ago so... counts as a UFO!
And, a stash buster quilt.  I had a few 10" Christmas squares and am sure that they were from 2009 or older?  They were part of the fabrics I brought to Arizona from home to stitch during the winter season and they just sat on my UFO list for a long time.  I had to cut more to get enough tumblers to make a lap size quilt.  A real jumble of odd fabrics but, scrappy is good!  Most of these are leftovers from other projects and I can pick out fabrics that are in table runners and toppers that I bring out every season.

One of the fun things I did this year was to purchase a Christmas Box from Missouri star.  The postage to Canada was really 'cheap' and I know their boxes are awesome... and I wasn't disappointed.  So many perfect and great gifts.  They put every gift for the month of December into a brown paper bag (there were a few exceptions) and the number for the day of the month is on them.  This year I was so good and am proud that I actually had patience and opened ONE a day.  A couple of my favourites were a huge ceramic button that is a mug coaster and perfect for me to put my mug on my cutting mat by my sewing machine.  The other one is a huge thimble that is a container and again, love it next to my sewing machine. 



I do have a picture of my mince tarts and my sausage rolls.  Will have to take more pictures before all the baking is gone!  Some of it hidden where I might even forget about it for a few weeks?


We did have snow but it meant sunshine and cold temperatures.  I loved it even though I had to shovel the driveway (because my husband had skin cancer surgery on the back of his hand a very large skin graft which is healing slowly). 




The snow is almost all gone with green grass showing and baking is done.  Christmas dinner will get eaten this evening and then... time for ME!  Sewing, cleaning, tidying and organizing my end to this year and being ready to tackle what 2021 brings.  I want to be ready.  This is such a different year for us and we are missing our friends in Arizona and the sunshine and warmth but, nice to be home as well.  However, it is an alone year no matter where we all are and I wish you a very safe day and hopefully, two weeks from now, we will find out that we did great keeping our distances and numbers for Covid are down.  And even better, us seniors will be finding out when our vaccination turn will happen.  And I am hoping for lots of sewing time and also being able to get together with my quilting friends, guild meetings to happen and sewing retreats!  All great things to be excited about.  

Merry Christmas from the wet (snowy) Pacific west coast. 

 


1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas from SouthWestern Ontario, it's very white and snowy here too. Your Christmas treats look delicious, quilt projects are lovely and those Christmas Box items are so fun!!!

    ReplyDelete