Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Quilts of Valour blocks #1 for a Three Yard Quilt

Quilts of Valour Canada is having a quilt contest and if you go to their website (don't forget the "u" in valour, you can find the information on how to enter.  One entry for each quilt turned into your rep between Jan and December 2021.  I decided to give out some instructions for some simple to make quilts that can use up 'stash' fabrics.  Northcott fabric company does sponsor QOVC and I like to support them but I make at least 15 quilts a year and would prefer to make most of the quilts from my stash if possible. 

 I am not sure that a 3 yard quilt is accurate but it gives you an idea of how much fabric you need in order to complete the blocks.  This is one I made, using a panel.  The blocks measure 12" finished and it is easy to incorporate a panel as well as a variety of blocks for the center of the block.


The block centers are 6.5" cut, 6" finished.  For Quilts of Valour, I like to go through any fabrics that seems to be Canadian in their theme and use them.  A great way to use up leftovers.  However, you can choose to use one fabric only in the centers.  There are NO rules!  And, you don't have to use a panel, this is just an idea if you have one kicking around (there were lots of them printed for our 150 yr celebration).  I did not use a consistent red in this quilt but kept my reds to read the same intensity.  

To make this quilt 60" x 72" you need 30 blocks without a panel. 

Cut 30 - 6.5" centers.  You can get 6 blocks from the width of a piece of fabric.  If you want a consistent center, then cut 5 strips of fabric: 6.5" wide and subcut into 6.5" squares. 

I chose this green Canadian flag fabric but I didn't have enough so you will see that later, I had to use some other blocks to have enough for the quilt.  There are no rules! 

Cut 5 strips of the red or dark 6.5" wide  

Cut  5 strips of the red or dark 3.5" wide

Cut 5 strips of the light 6.5" wide

Cut 5 Strips of the light 3.5" wide. 

Stitch the dark and the light strips together matching the 3.5" of light with the 3.5" of the dark. 

Subcut these stitched strips into 3.5" segments. 


Repeat with the 6.5" wide strips of red and white or light and dark.  Stitch them together and then subcut into 3.5" segments. 



Add the shorter/smaller pieces to each side of your 6.5" center squares, making sure you stitch in the same order for each one which will reverse the colours on each side.  I start with the light 'up' on each block.


Press seams and then add the longer strips on each side, making sure to match red to red and white to white.  Trim to 12.5" and you are done!  There are many options.  You can make less blocks and add a border. I am thinking of using this small panel in the upper corner as it won't work for centering it in the quilt.  I don't have all my blocks on the wall yet but it will be 5 blocks wide and 6 blocks long. 

A simple to make quilt that uses up some of your fabrics that you have sitting and wondering what to make.  I think we get overwhelmed with ideas so thought I would give a simple way to make a block and thus a quick quilt.  

There will be two more posts coming with ideas so stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment