Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

A week of total focus on quilting and binding.

 My March goals are almost completely finished!  I still have one more quilt to load and quilt and bind plus 4 others that need binding, but still today and tomorrow.  If I get the last one quilted, it won't bother me to have bindings to do in the first days of April.  My goals was to quilt as many as possible out of the 19 projects that were on hangers, waiting.  

Thursday will be about April, Easter, income tax, cleaning windows and vacuuming out the winter 'crap' from my car as well as a trip to the thrift shop.  And, I will get back to piecing some of the projects that I have started as well as those that I have floating around in my head, will get either started or completed. 

So, what I have finished? Happy blocks quilt #2 using a red Canadian flag panel from our 150th anniversary.  Some of the blocks are made by Penny after I handed her a stack of 6.5" centers. 


Penny made this quilt top from my leftovers after cutting hug blocks kits.  In the beginning, QOVC was making and selling 'hugs in a mug' with mugs filled with the right amount of fabric to make a block using the Oh Canada Northcott line (and the reps were buying fabric, mugs and printing off the patterns plus bags to put them in).  Then we switched to just selling the kits in a baggie.  Then QOVC, in their wisdom, decided that reps needed to buy the fabrics from them to cut the kits and send the proceeds back to them, leaving me, a rep, with a huge amount of yardage of the fabrics on hand.  I kept cutting kits and selling them to try and reduce the amount of investment I had in the fabrics and I still had a load of leftovers from the kit cutting.  Penny took the container and made a quilt from 'some' of the fabrics and returned the leftovers to me along with this quilt top.  I still have a box of hug blocks that are cut and packaged with the patterns.
This churn dash is made with a variety of red fabrics plus the centers are cut from leftover backings.  I decided to alternate white and red blocks for a bit of variety.

Penny made a quilt for Quilts of Valour from her stash.  I quilted and bound it and it is now ready for the donation pile.
My tumbler quilt from the January Heartstrings is now finished and ready for donation 

Town Square which is a 3 yard quilt pattern is ready for Quilts of Valour.  I used some leftover Canadian prints for the centers plus a flag panel that I had on hand.  The quilt that follows is Happy Blocks #3 using another of the panels of Canadian cities plus some blocks from Penny.
I made this quilt top in early February as a demonstration of using fat quarters and cutting them in a way that leaves very little waste and ending up with a 15" block.  The tutorial is on the blog in early February.  I used a variety of aging leaf prints for this quilt so fabric used up and a donation quilt finished.

So, that makes 10 quilts  (and one table runner)finished this month and I have 3 more quilts that are quilted and waiting for binding. And the final one that I want to get done by tomorrow is ready for me to load on the B-line quilting system.   

This jigsaw puzzle is NOT going to get finished.  We are really frustrated and not enjoying a puzzle that has the same size pieces so that they might fit perfectly in a spot but it isn't the right piece.  It took me ages to get the border done on the left hand side and thought that would help but it hasn't.  So, it is going back in the box for someone who enjoys a challenge that is far too difficult for my brain. I have no idea why the picture is upside down but doesn't matter... hard to do from any direction!

Our Christmas cactus is extremely happy, blooming again in March!  So pretty and colourful.
So, a non tennis morning since the courts were soaking wet due to a surprise rain shower and it is end the month so a few desk chores to tackle, plus the dreaded income tax paperwork and it is time to celebrate Easter and remain at home, staying safe and healthy. We did get our vaccinations last week so 2 more weeks until we are little more protected.  Sadly, in Canada, the second doses of the Pfizer vaccines won't be available to us until July so we wait... not so patiently, but I can distract myself with quilting and be content with one jab at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment