Search This Blog

Monday, March 22, 2021

The best laid plans don't seem to work for me.

 I have great intentions to blog once a week at minimum and realize that if I did that, it would be quicker with less to catch up on but, alas, I can't get myself that organized. 

St. Patrick's day was celebrated here with a little bit of new decor items: placemats, table toppers, mug rug and wallhanging... simple as they are, it was enough for a one day event. Thought of my father who loved to celebrate and died last year on March 18 so this year was the first one without me singing with him on the phone. 





My PBJ block for March got done.  I made two as the first one didn't show much contrast.  The theme was yams.

A time out from sewing/quilting to clean up after hedge trimming.  Our awesome (younger) neighbour was kind enough to do the work for us on the cedars that run between our houses.
A fabulous double rainbow last week that was stunning!
Our modern guild is having a challenge to make an Easter basket so I pulled out some fabrics from the Easter container and got busy.  Simple but done.

I got my blocks for the Rainbow scrap challenge for March done.  The colour is green. 

This is my current project area.  Tshirts have been waiting forever to get cut up and made into a quilt.  The rest is quite tidy and organized and I know what is there.
I layered my table runner and started quilting it because my name is going to come up quickly in the Queen of UFO's group that I belong to and this is from 2018

I have a stack of quilts that I have quilted and are waiting for me bind.  It was a good week and I managed to get 6 quilted in 7 days!  Impressive but of course, it means that nothing else got done. 



Backings are becoming a bit of a challenge for me.  It is so hard to spend your time and money making the quilt tops and then add in the cost of the batting and then I need a minimum of 3.5m of backing fabric plus the binding.  I used to be able to find decent backing for a good price and was happy paying $6 metre but now, it seems that $12 is the cheapest available.  So, I pulled out all my pieces of leftover batting from the last few years and was amazed that I managed to make 5 backings!  Wow... big savings.
This is the first of the quilts made from happy blocks plus a Canadian panel that is now quilted and bound and ready to donation to Quilts of Valour.

And the second quilt is done that used a panel of Canadian cities plus happy blocks.  My friend Penny pieced some blocks for me after I gave her the centers to work around.  It made for loads of blocks.

This is the panel of Canada used in the first quilt. 

The table runner is finished.  Yahoo, can cross a UFO off the list
And, I have my stack of quilts ready for quilting and going to aim to keep up with my one a day for as long as I can.
And a stack of quilts that are waiting for their labels and binding and then they are done!
So, I am busy and actually finishing some of the projects I have been working on in 2021. 



4 comments:

  1. I sure wished I lived closer to you as I love to sit in the evenings snuggled up in a quilt that I am binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha... you can do that in AZ when the a/c is going full blast!

      Delete
  2. You could keep me busy hand sewing on the bindings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on getting so much accomplished. Send me some of your mojo as mine has run away lol

    ReplyDelete