Search This Blog

Monday, May 3, 2021

Welcome May 2021 and so far, so good!

 We have had a few nice days for the start of the month and yesterday was a great day for me, starting with an usual but awesome sleep on Saturday night.  I managed to clean the entire upstairs of our house and get laundry done as well as heading to the tennis court for some skills and drills with my husband, then a few groceries that were needed and home to cut the grass in the front yard and pull a few weeds.  That left me some time to play with fabric and do some piecing plus I quilted my last preemie which is also a UFO.  

A lovely soak in our big tub and the day was done.  

Sadly, a lousy sleep last night but today was early tennis and we avoided any rain which was a good thing and home to start vacuuming my downstairs space and load the quilting frame. 

This first quilt is one I finished last week.  It was my jelly roll project for Heartstrings and I found a batik "Canada" fabric for the centers of the block.  This looks much better up close and personal than it does from a distance.  A UFO that used up a jelly roll bundle that had been sitting in a bin for as long as I can remember.  

The quilt above is loaded and I have done a few  passes and figured out what design I want to use on it.  This is my charm quilt from the Rainbow scrap challenge last year. Another UFO! And, after this one is quilted, I have yet another RSC quilt top waiting for a turn at being quilted.  Batting and backing are ready.
Two quilts were finished last week and binding is made and waiting.  One is my L block quilt from the 2020 Rainbow scrap challenge and the other is a Quilt of Valour that I quilted for a friend.

In the meantime, I had a large bag of Northcott Oh Canada fabric scraps, bit and pieces dropped off to me and in there was a stack of 30 blocks to make a hugs block quilt plus an assortment of blocks that were missing a piece or needed to be finished.  So, those are ready to be mailed off to the collector of hug blocks from across Canada. 



I dug out an old UFO and I must look to see if I can find this on my blog to see just how old it is.  It is a Missouri star disappearing pinwheel.  I dug out a panel from the scrap bag mentioned above and will use it in the quilt along with the blocks.  It is a simple block to make but it needs really careful measuring.  

Step one is to take a print and a white 10" square, right sides together, stitch around the entire perimeter and then cut diagonally into 4 half square triangles. The four triangles get stitched into a large pinwheel.  And then you carefully cut in four directions around the center pinwheel and last step is to rearrange the blocks and sew back together. 



I did get my baby bricks preemie quilt top finished and quilted and just need to add the binding and this UFO is done! 

And I would really like to get this UFO quilted.  The wallhanging is from last September and the kit orginally older than that.

The heartstrings challenge for May is charms and I got this kit as a door prize in March when I attended our small retreat.  I think it will be perfect to make.  




So my list for May:

1. Finish binding on baby bricks

2. Bind Penny's quilt

3. Bind my L blocks quilt

4. Quilt Falling Charms quilt and bind

5. Load and quilt RSC scrappy strips blocks #1

6. Load and quilt RSC scrappy strips block #2

7. Make Quilt of Valour hugs blocks quilt with 30 blocks given to me

8. Quilt and bind my moose wall hanging. 

9. Finish make disappearing pinwheel blocks and put quilt top together. 

10. Make the charm square quilt 

And there you have it for the first Monday in May.  Rain might come so time to get more stitching done! 


No comments:

Post a Comment