Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Failing at blogging.

 I feel like I am failing at blogging.  I think about posting all the time but want to do "just one more finish".  Well. the finishes were far and few between although I did gets lots of blocks made and finally, 4 quilts ready for quilting. However, I did have some finishes for UFO's from last fall.  The moose wall hanging was a row x row that I purchased in the fall of 2019 at a quilt show and started it Sept 2020.  It sat waiting for me to stitch around the moon, moose and tree for 8 months.  That got done and it got quilted and bound and is ready for me to find a place to hang it. 

The next two quilts were from a "pick up and drop off" with the modern guild last fall... I think August or September?  In the bag I grabbed from the community quilts table was this funky fabric that is in the center of the blocks.  There was enough for me to make two quilts for kids.  And then, there they sat, waiting, not so patiently. 
What I really needed was some bright flannel for the back and I forgot to take a picture but I found some bright green which worked perfectly and then I found some binding to match.  So these two are done! And then I waited to get some labels but now have them and so these are totally ready for me to return to the guild.
This third one had these prints in the bag along with the bright yellow/orange.  I found a pattern I wanted to try but after stitching it, wasn't very pleased with the result.  The prints were too close in colours, even though one is a large print and the other smaller.  I added the green border to tone it down a little and to add to the size and, on the back, a bright orange flannel.  Labeled and done!

The previous projects were completed in May... now onto June.  I FINALLY finished this disappearing pinwheel quilt made from 10" squares and a Missouri star pattern.  It was started in 2014 and I made a few blocks and had the squares all cut.  It was a pain to make because everything ends up on the bias but with lots of spray starch and going slowly, it turned out okay though a few points may be lost here and there.  I added in a Canadian flag block and it is now a Quilt of Valour. 

This is a current project on the design wall.  My Heartstrings group chose fat quarters as their choice for June challenge.  I had stack of blue fat quarters but decided that there wasn't a lot of difference in the prints and value of the colours for it to work with my Carolyn block so pulled out some greens to add a little more interest and variety.  I am still playing with the layout. 
I pulled two finished quilts from my cupboard and will add labels and then put them in the bag for the guild's community quilt donations. 
This framed sixteen patch quilt has been quilted and is now waiting for binding and a label for Quilts of Valour.
A silly little leftover project.  I put together some extra pink blocks and added a pink border and it will make a very girlie little quilt for the We Care program at guild.
I have a quilt loaded on the B-line.  More happy blocks for Quilts of Valour along with another flag panel.  These flag panels seem to reproduce overnight and they don't seem to be going away any time soon.
The last quilt that I need to get finished has the backing and batting cut and ready, waiting for the next turn on the B-line. 
Next up will be working on my monthly blocks for both Patterns by Jen - theme pumpkins for her block and purple for the Rainbow Scrap challenge.  I have my containers pulled out from the bookcase and ready to tackle!

This is a project for an installation being done in North Vancouver at the Lonsdale Library where a horrible shooting incident occurred a few months ago.  There is an option to make 8' long banners that they will hang or to make small squares that will go in this cross stitch project.  White squares that are 3" have a cross cut out of felt and a simple running stitch in embroidery thread to hold them down.  I put a package in the mail that our Wednesday Diva's made.  

This is what the final project will look like.
These quilt blocks got framed and put together and a wonderful long arm quilter from Chilliwack offered her services to quilt it and she picked it up this morning.  She is just finishing her APQS certification and really wants to 'give back'.  I am happy she contacted me and happened to have a perfect quilt for her to quilt.  She asked for the binding so she could totally finish it.  Apparently, she loves binding! 
My front garden is looking quite stunning with beautiful poppies and peonies ready to burst.  We had some hot weather which really helped, for 3 days, and now we are back to very cool, cloudy weather so they are stalling their openings. 

My list for June isn't too long.  I actually finished up the list from May which felt good. 

1. Rainbow scrap challenge: purple - 3 sets of blocks

2. PBJ: pumpkin - 2 blocks (only one is required but I realized that if I only do one, there will 12 by the end of the year and that isn't enough for a quilt so I need to double up on this project)

3.  Quilt and bind the framed 9 patch top for QOV

4. Quilt and bind the happy blocks for QOV

5. Add labels to quilt donations

6. Bind the framed 16 patch for QOV

7.  Put the Carolyn's blocks together for Heartstrings June challenge

8. Cut hearts and stitch onto backgrounds for the wonky hearts block (Mary's challenge)

9.  Cut out some fabric for the 3 yard quilts and make some kits. 

10. Do something with my t-shirts that have been sitting under the table for over a year. 

11.  Quilt and bind  the pink We care

12 Quilt and bind a We care given to me by the coordinator to finish

Nothing on here is very challenging other than the t-shirts so I expect to work through this in the next week or two.  However, you know that some idea or project will enter my brain and I will stop what I am doing to work on it.  Pinterest is rabbit hole that I head down regularly.  

Enjoy your June.  We are both booked for our second Covid vaccinations and I also have a mammogram appointment.  Tennis is a regular activity as long as the courts are dry.  Life beyond Covid is going to happen although, at the moment, feeling sad for my brother who has been fighting brain cancer for 6 years and now has a second tumor that has appeared on the latest scan.  Sadly, he can't be understood when he talks which must be frustrating for him and he is now in palliative care, heading for hospice when a bed is available.  I was able to chat with him yesterday as my sister visited and used her phone on Messenger so we could see each other even though it was a one sided conversation.  But, life carries on and other than prayers for him to stay comfortable and experience no pain, we need to deal with avoiding Covid and stay healthy ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment