Search This Blog

Saturday, June 3, 2023

So far, a fabulous June!

 Only three days into the month but, weather is glorious - sunny but not hot.  Our gardens are growing nicely though we need to water daily because May had one rainy day and we broke records for driest and warmest May in 125 years!  Doesn't bode well for forest fires and our reservoirs but Mother Nature has her own agenda.  In the past, June has been unpredictable when I think back on sports days at elementary schools.  We would listen to the radio in the mornings while commuting to work and the list of cancellations for the planned celebrations and activities was long and frustrating for organizers. 

But, here we are, enjoying perfect weather.  

This was my list for the last ten days of May: 

1. Rainbow scraps in orange for my strip and plus blocks - Done

2. Patterns by Jen in soft blue for May - Done

3. Complete two row by rows as per my own challenge to myself for 2 per month NOT DONE

4. Stitch blocks together for Town square. Done

5. Load and quilt 2 tops?  Hoping I can make myself do that... I need to figure out how to bribe myself. Done and I managed to quilt 6 tops and make the bindings.  Am very pleased with my concentrated effort to reduce the quilts on hangers. 

The Town Square, started at a guild class on making a 3 yard quilt, is not only put together, but it is also quilted and waiting for binding. 

May orange rainbow scrap challenge blocks made.  The scraps in my orange bin is actually below the top! 
RSC orange plus blocks done!
This cute panel that I bought at the Langley quilt show from Cherry Tree Quilts is layered, waiting for quilting and the binding is made.
This was the stack of quilted quilt tops with bindings made when I had done four.
Happily, the pile grew to 6 by the last day of May. 

 I spent this morning cutting and stitching some backings for four more quilt tops but still need to cut the batting for them.

Quilt #7 is loaded and started - hoping to add it to the pile waiting for binding, later today.
Most of the quilts on hangers are for Survivors of residential schools.  I am waiting to hear if there is a need locally or will I cram them all into a box and mail to Ontario for them to finish?  If there is a need locally, then these will get layered, quilted and bound and ready for presentation.  There are three quilts of Valour on the right that I am in no rush to get completed as I have a decent stack of quilts on hand at the moment.
This is my Gudrun - GE Designs, strip twist.  I decided to use the entire jelly roll and make more blocks.  They are finished and waiting for pressing and trimming and then I can figure out how I want to arrange these blocks.  I am thinking about centering all the lighter blocks in the middle and working out with darker blocks? 
I was in Friday night Zoom sewing with my friends in the modern guild last night and this is what I have to deal with this morning - lots of pressing and trimming.  I think I have all of the strip twist blocks made and I also stitched up a set of Carolyn's blocks from 12 fat quarters.
This was the stack of cut fat quarters waiting to be stitched into blocks that are above.
Lots of weeding was done this past week and trimming the tulips and daffodil stems now that they have finished blooming.  The poppies are glorious in their colour.

The peonies are not very plentiful this year but they are so close to opening.
Since we have had no rain, the rose bushes are fabulous and blooming like crazy.
Am happy with the garden this year even if it means nightly watering. 

My new list for this month:

1. Rainbow scrap challenge strip and plus blocks - colour chosen was blue but we have already had blue so I will work with my browns since the bin is overflowing. 

2. Finish blocks for Strip twist and get the top put together

3. Finish Carolyn's fat quarter blocks (Heartstrings challenge for June) and get top put together

4. PBJ block for June - gray 

5. Quilt two Bento box tops - one is done

6. Quilt two Illusions tops

7. Bindings!  There will be at least 11 finished quilts to bind and more if I get bento box and Illusions quilted in a timely manner

8. Quilt art wall hanging quilted and bound and hung on the wall. 

9. Make a 3 yard quilt (already kitted up) at Saturday modern guild sew in.  

10. Catch up on row by rows for May and June - 4 to get done! 

Sounds easy enough but you never know what can get in my way!  I am about to read the last book in my Irish Doctor series and am sad to finishing my time with my Irish village that I have enjoyed being a part of along with lessons in Irish history.  This is perfect weather for afternoon reading on our upstairs patio... not too hot but sunny and comfortable.  

Happy June to everyone.  Life is good! (at the moment). 

No comments:

Post a Comment