Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Carolyn's little sweat shop for a week

 The week of binding May quilts is done and now I have a bit of a sweatshop happening.  I cut some kits for preemie quilts earlier this year and also cut some kits for Quilts of Valour last December.  On Saturday was our guild sew in and I took kits with me to work on.  Pressing at the sew in is a bit of a nuisance with me being taller than most so as I got a project to the pressing stage and sub cutting, I packed it up and started on the next... it was very productive. 

I started my pressing and next step in each project and laid them all out, ready to go... some are to the top (flimsy) stage and others are still ongoing to get the basic blocks made and then stitched up into a top. I also have been working on Heartstrings charms.  I found a set of 5" squares called Funtime 30's and added frames to the blocks in a variety of colours and made a couple of preemie quilts. 

These are blocks from a swap that we did when I belonged to the Candianquiltswappers at yahoo groups.  Each person in the swap chose 4 six inch squares and they got sent to each other so a set of 13, one from each province and territory.  This was in 2009.  Since these blocks have been hidden away for so long, I decided to do something really simple and create a Quilt of Valour. 
This is the second funtime charm on the design wall and the first on the ironing board. 
Lots of these kits were cut... some using my rubber ducky fabric (I have/had a lot of it) or there are trains, and some trucks. 
An example of one of the duck combinations.
I worked on the strips for this 3 yard quilt on Saturday. It is Stepping stones by Fabric Cafe. 
And here it is, all put together. I didn't have enough of the maple leaf print to cut more squares so I used some dogwood and totem pole squares that were leftover from the Canadian block swap many years ago. 
Running Doe is having a fun sew along using a different pattern from her each month.  This is called Pink and I put together an odd assortment of strips that I found in my kid's fabric box.  So many variations of fabric combos that have been posted that I think I will make another one. 
Another Quilt of Valour and I had stitched the alternate block pieces together.  I have it laid out and am missing a few blocks so will make more and get this to the flimsy stage. 
Back to my stitching up of these kits for the local NICU.  Once I have these projects hanging, waiting for quilting, it will be time to work on my Rainbow scrap challenge blocks (blue) and patterns by Jen (raspberry).  More driving for an appointment this week and only one day of tennis but two guild meetings.  So, as usual, busy days for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment