Search This Blog

Saturday, August 24, 2024

Third week of August, heading into week four which means quilting and binding.

 I have said this before that I really admire those bloggers who post daily - even those who post when they have something to show.  I plan to do that and then my brain says, "wait", let me get this finished so I can add it to the blog.  Suddenly a few weeks has gone by?  

So, what do I have to show for the last three weeks? Pillowcases!  Remember I posted that I dug out kid's fabrics that were set aside for pillowcases.  I decided to work on three at a time, pinning while watching tv in the evening, next day stitching, turning, pressing, trimming and set by the serger, waiting to stitch the bottom and sides.  They kept piling up!  And then, they got stitched. 



My next step is to stitch down the accent strip and I like to reinforce the serging at the ends of the cases with the sewing machine.  I sorted the pillowcases by the color of the accent strip and put the appropriate thread in the machine.  I am still working on this step.  There are cases waiting to be serged and then stitched.  But, am half way through. 
One case is totally finished but there will be a few more later today when I get the last few stitches done to reinforce the seam. 
This is the Running Doe quilt for August and it is another quilt called Connections... I think I have three patterns, all different, that use this name.  I cut up brown squares from some of my leftover backings and then went through my red scrap bins for pieces large enough for the corner triangles and squares. 
I also dug out a set of fat quarters that had been put aside for a class with the Abbotsford guild that I ended up teaching after Covid... and forgot I had these fabrics set aside and taught it with fabrics that had a Canadian theme.
And, blocks are stitched together. 

I dug out these fat quarters and deciding what to make... they are still waiting for a decision but it is time to bring these kits and fabrics out of the dark into the daylight and decide how to use them.
Another top made from rainbow scrap blocks that I pieced monthly in past years and the pile was getting too large. 
I have all the leftover half square triangles from the Running Doe pattern that I need to decide what to do with... they are all trimmed and pressed and waiting. 
Patterns by Jen blocks in purple got made for August.
I had some of these Connections blocks from Quilts of Valour sew in day in February leftover so made more to have enough for a quilt top.  It is still on the design wall waiting to be stitched. 

Third week of the month is for my Rainbow scrap challenge blocks and hoping I have learned my lesson this year about choosing to do too large a variety.  So far, these are done but still have 3 more sets of different blocks to make.  I will persevere and try to remember in January to be less ambitious.

I worked on the blocks for the sew a long with a quilt shop in Newfoundland and got the sashing on one side of each... then my most unfavorite activity was to add the vertical sashing and hope that everything lined up. 
This part done and the outer borders to add and it will be ready for quilting next week.
For upcoming guild meetings, I made three more hug blocks as samples for the small kits I have available for those that don't have access to Oh Canada fabrics.  Maple leaf, propeller and twister are made. 
I have been struggling with my heart (tachycardia) and the cardiologist suggested a sleep study and it did discover that I do have sleep apnea which causes my heart to beat faster when I stop breathing.  Here I am wired up with sensors plus a sleep mask connected to a C-pap machine and the technicians can adjust settings to find what is most beneficial for me.  I am now trying this out for a month and will see if I can get used to sleeping with the mask and machine.  I struggle with sleep most nights so another added stress isn't great but am determined to do my best. 

I have a friend who has two Janome embroidery machines for sale and am posting the pictures here.  If you want more information, I have her contact information and you can email me at rosquilter@gmail.com.  She lives in Abbotsford BC.  There is a Janome 12000 for $2500 and a Janome 15000 for $4200 and both include hoops and instruction manuals and have been serviced a year ago. 


My goals for August - how am I doing?

1. Stitch up 16 poppy blocks and start cutting sashing and assembling the Canadian sew along quilt

2. Rainbow scrap challenge blocks in oranges - half done!

3. Running Doe quilt along Crossroads

4. Patterns by Jen block in purple

5. Marble mystery: I haven't chosen  my fabrics and this month is cutting fabric. I am still debating about doing this one.

6. Working on pillowcases 

7. Press rainbow scrap challenge top #4

8. Cut some 3yd quilts for Quilts of Valour (reduce how much Canadian themed fabric on hand) I didn't do this but made Connection blocks and used leftover blocks on hand that were 13" 

And added in

9. Carolyn's blocks from aging fat quarter bundle


No comments:

Post a Comment