Search This Blog

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Feeling good about my stitching time.

I have been productive and have a couple of tops finished to the flimsy stage.
First, I worked on my Sparrow blocks: 50 blocks in 50 weeks.  This started 11 weeks ago and so I have some catching up to do. But some are made.  I am not doing them in order although I will eventually get there.  I really only need 30 blocks for a quilt top to make it 60" x 72" so some of the 'iffy to me" blocks might not get made?
A couple of my good quilting friends were chatting about a new method of trimming hst's.  I have been using this method for awhile and thought I should show you in case you haven't see in or done it before.  Just one step faster with the trimming.
Before you press your blocks open, line up the ruler with the stitching line and it really helps to have a proper ruler for this.  You can improvise but I find it faster to use the right tool for the job.  Find the size of the finished hst and trim two sides and THEN press them open. 

 The stitching line is under the 4.5" line on the ruler.

 The only issue with this method is that you are left with 'dog ears' and when you trim them off, they make a real mess... bits everywhere. 
Binding made for the two quilt tops I have on the go.
Villa Rosa, "something positive" is put together.  A good use of fat quarters.  Top is ready to head home for summer quilting.
Villa Rosa "Iceberg" is put together and a fast way to stitch up a jelly roll plus background fabric into a quilt top.  Another top that will go into the suitcase.
This is the first blocks of the CQA block challenge, 52 blocks in 52 weeks.  One done, 51 to go although with 6" finished blocks I need to figure out how many blocks with sashing I need for a finished quilt top that is approximately 60 x 70" 
The blocks are made for this project from Connecting Threads: Gingham squares.  Easy piecing although not my favourite to work 4" finished squares.  But it is ready to join all the blocks and get it off my design wall.
Now, a tidy up of my sewing room.  The vacuum is out and I will tidy and organize so I am prepped for stitching this week. 
My goals:
- catch up on Sparrow blocks
- make #2 block for CQA
- stitch the gingham blocks together
- make the binding for the gingham quilt
- RSC blocks in red
- Quilter's Planner block for Jan
- 30" table topper Connecting Threads
- City View Connecting Threads.
- Charm quilt for Heartstrings challenge.
- Strippie kid's quilt

If I can get some of these crossed off by next Sunday, I feel that I will be back on track with reducing my stash of scraps, fabrics and kits. The weather here in Arizona is warming up and is absolutely perfect. 




1 comment: