Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Stitching slowly but surely

I have pictures of the last few quilts that I have finished.  These are UFO's and feels good to get them off hangers and done!
First is the quilt from my cousin's wife... she sent me two quilts last year and this one is the second one.  I finished one last fall but this one needed some piecing and the top blocks was an American flag and I replaced that block with two maple leaves.  A little more Canadian, eh? The original pattern called for lots of applique but, that isn't going to happen!  A finished quilt ready to keep someone warm and comforted.
Then there are two Christmas quilts which prompted the cleaning and organizing of my Christmas fabrics when I was looking for binding.
One is made from 10" squares which I sliced in half and the fabric was called Ugly Sweaters.  It has been sitting in my Arizona sewing room for ages and now, it is a finished quilt.
This next one was made from a 10" package of blue Christmas type fabrics and I kept to the original pattern that came with them.  Another finished quilt! 
I started to work on my RCS 2019 blocks and got one quilt laid out and the blocks are stitched together.  And, while getting ready to press the top, got distracted by laying out more blocks into a different pattern.  I am not too sure how this will work out for balance as I want the quilt 10 blocks in one direction and 12 in the other to get a quilt 60 x 72".  I will continue to play for a bit.
And there is a kit from the Modern Quilt guild that needs to be layered, quilted and bound that I have to add to my list of projects waiting to be loaded on the frame.
My white board is looking a little better although I keep adding new projects to it. All the sticky notes on the wall below the board are things that I have managed to accomplish this month. 
I did get my fat quarter quilt finished.  This was a UFO from a few years ago and was originally a kit from Connecting Threads and intended for a totally different pattern called Offset.  However, I wanted to make another one of these quilts since I was supposed to be teaching the class in April to my local guild.  That never happened, but the quilt is done.
I have my Heartstrings April challenge quilts (which was to pick a jelly roll) and I have made 2 preemies that are layered and ready for me to hopefully quilt and bind this week.  I just realized that Thursday is the last day of the month.
And, I thought that it would be a good idea to make a quilt for Nova Scotia.  The Maritime Modern guild has put out a call for blue and white quilts to be sent to them finished and to be there by June.  I sent the idea to my Wednesday quilt group and right away, Marge made some blocks and dropped them off at my house the next day.  So, that got me motivated to get more blocks made and next thing, this quilt is on my design wall. 
Marge also dropped off two quilts of valour for me that use panels and were made by her and Penny.  Great use of panels and love the maple leaves.  Well done!  I am in the process of adding labels to both of them and when COVID makes an exit, I will have a good stack of quilts for donation to our injured military.

This morning I made some cinnamon buns after watching pictures on Facebook of everyone working with yeast breads.  My good friend gave me some yeast so I dug out the Kitchenaid mixer and got to work.  Of course, my husband is thrilled with freshly made buns.
And this week also saw some outside work with lawn cut, weeding done and a new brick wall put together so that we can add dirt and plant some flowers or put our begonia bulbs in there. 

Our yard is looking quite lovely.  Perfect time of year and nothing has dried out yet in the warmth of the summer.
So, some yard work, some piecing, some quilting, and some baking.  Hopefully, this time next week, I will have a report of successful Moh's surgery for my husband and even more success with finding out the next step for help for his knee. 
Have a good week and to quote one of my favourite tv shows, 'stay safe out there'.











No comments:

Post a Comment