Search This Blog

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Entering July slowly in cool, dreary weather

Our weather goes from using our a/c to having the furnace on.  Crazy times. I felt once again that I was spinning my wheels even though I did accomplish a few things... but most of them aren't visible!
Tidying up patterns from my printer was one task.  Organizing my lists was another.

My list looked liked this by the end of June.
1. Quilt/bind cracker block quilt
2. Quilt/bind QOV  donated by a local quilt guild member
3. Quilt a Quilt of Valour made  by a friend
4. Quilt/bind a project I picked up from our modern guild parking lot gathering in May
5. Quilt /bind RSC #3 -
  6.Make set of blocks picked up at FVMQG gathering
7. Makestrip pieced triangle blocks picked up at the FVMQG gathering
8. Make some scrub bags for Abbotsford guild donation
9. Work on RSC blocks for June - pink
10. Make Saratoga quilt (a kit from Keepsake how many years ago?) Quilt and Bind
11. Pick up income tax and pay the accountant!
12. Work on some St. Louis 16 patch blocks
 13. Make tinker tote
14. Dark green RSC  blocks for May
15. Block lottery from FVMQG - red/black 9 patches
16. stitch a new purse
17. Finish postcard for modern guild challenge
18. Make an armchair caddy
19. Cocktail mug rug for Modern guild challenge
20. Bind RSC #2 
21, Quilt and bind RCMP quilt (FVMQG block lottery)
22. Stepping Stones, Fabric Cafe - piece top 
23. Town square: make blocks, piece top.

I don't have all my Rainbow scrap challenge blocks done for May, June and now July.  However, I did make a start and have my strip pieced blocks done for all three months.  Some papers to remove from the last of the July ones and that is finished.  However, I am making a variety of blocks for the RSC and the other blocks are still calling my name.


I did manage to get the RCMP quilt done and it was made from a panel from 3 years ago plus blocks I won in a lottery at the modern quilt guild meeting last November. 

 
 It was my birthday this week and our Wednesday Diva group has been meeting with social distancing, outside our local ice arena.  Yesterday was brutal weather and very cold so we decided to move our chairs under the cover of the roof by the entrance.  We were still far apart but we didn't get wet and of course, we all had quilts to keep us warm.  My stack of blue fat quarters plus the cute pouch was my birthday loot!  Lucky eh?

So, what else have I accomplished?  Well... I managed to get the another quilt made from one of the 3 yard patterns and this one was called Town Square. 

Then, when I had looked into my bin of "old" florals, I was little sad at how much is in there so I cut out two new quilts from the two 3 yard patterns.  The one pictured is the first one I pieced. The second one is the portion of the new one from old fabric that I am making.
I did get my hair cut... what a wonderful feeling!
And, even better, I finally got my mother's ring sized to fit my small finger.  She is now with me all the time.  My sister has the wedding ring and I kept the engagement ring.
Last week, I ventured into Michael's for the first time since COVID and bought a perfect set of drawers that fits in the spot I wanted it in. Of course, it was an all afternoon project to get it together.  But, I did it! I would like to get projects off the floor yet still visible and handy.  
My last RSC quilt is quilted and binding is half done and that was one of the projects on my list for June.  But, it will be done by later today and then I can feel good about what I accomplished last month and get busy with a list for July.

One last thing that I feel I must say something about... with all the turmoil happening around us with COVID and Black lives Matter, I am not ignoring the entire situation.  We have adopted aboriginal daughters so have always been aware of racist attitudes. But, I thank my parents for raising myself and my siblings to not tolerate treating others differently that we would ourselves... treat one another as you would want to be treated.  I did see attitudes when I was teaching, to students who were different than the 'normal' kids and again, any kind of negative attitude was never tolerated in my classroom and I offered my room as a safe place at lunch for any that were feeling lonely, rejected or even scared to be in the regular lunchroom... a safe hangout.
I saw this earlier this week and it pretty much says what I am feeling and thinking.

I escape into my safe world of tennis and quilting but I am not unaware of the world around me.  I do pray for peace and understanding as well as a medical breakthrough for Covid. 


2 comments:

  1. You've been VERY productive with beautiful results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Being cooped up at home and rainy weather means lots of time with my machine.

      Delete