Search This Blog

Friday, August 2, 2019

Hot August nights? Seems that way so far into this month.

The weather this summer is sort of normal but we are having a variety of temperatures and some rain.  A thunderstorm was predicted this morning, but it didn't happen although it did rain overnight.  The rain is lovely for the garden but it does make it more humid.  Thank goodness for our new a/c which removes the moisture very efficiently and makes it more comfortable.
Great weather for stitching and quilting but not so good for making meals for my family.  Today, however, is rib cooking day and I have a full pot on the stove and then will make Dar's sauce and bake them and will be happy because I will package into heat and serve meals.

I have finished piecing my sunrise, curved blocks and the top has moved to a hanger, waiting for the next step: quilting and binding.  

 I have turned all of my 170 happy blocks into finished quilts for donation to various kid's places.  Some are 40 x 50" and will go to transition houses and other programs that our guild supports.  And the smaller pile are 30 x 36" and will go the NICU and cover the isolettes that the preemies are living in for the first few days, weeks and months of their lives.  I am not so sure my fabric stash is reduced but I manage to get a total of 11 quilts made. 

My disappearing 9 patch is done.
Now I am tackling my stack of rail fences that I made last year.... a different colour was chosen every month for the Rainbow scrap challenge but I use 3.5" strips, not strips as is intended.  It was a good way to reduce some of my fat quarters and yardage of older fabrics... or some of my 'what was I thinking?' fabrics.


My list from July had a few finishes and completions and I am happy with the progress I made.  Not much to move to August from this list.  I did cross off the churn dashes even though the binding isn't quite finished.  It will be and I consider that to be a July finish.

1. Polka dot blocks made 2018 for the Sparrow block of the week challenge
2. Make the kid's happy blocks into 5 quilt tops
3. Adult happy blocks for Victoria quilts
4. Churn dash - red/white
5. Solstice blocks from Pat Sloan mystery - from 2017
6. Quilt and bind RSC strips#2 quilt from 2018
7. Work with my RSC rail fences from 2018
8. Make hsts from my leftover RSC strips from 2018
9. Quilt and bind Heartland
10. Bind Corner Cabin
11. Applique Welcome Autumn wall hangings from 2017
12. Quilt and bind 9 patch Tailor's tack
13. Dig out Ohio star blocks and make enough for a quilt 2016
14. Quilt and bind Disappearing 9 patch challenge
15. RSC 2019 pink blocks for July
16. Make a block for Joanne's quilt to replace the US flag with maple leaves
17. Cut up kid's fat quarters for a Yellow Brick Roa
18 H Bag 
19 Lemonade block swap

Ten out of seventeen projects completed but I don't think that I realized that the #2... Make happy block quilts would end up as 11 finished projects.

So, onto August goals:
1. Polka dot blocks
2. Solstice (will I ever get around to this?)
3. RSC rails (yes, on the design wall)
4. Welcome Autumn (this has been kicking around for far too long)
5. Ohio Star blocks (not very excited about this)
6. Replace Joanne's US flag block
7. Cut up kid's fabrics for Yellow Brick Road quilts
8. Make up the zip pouches that I have kits for
9. Kit for cutting mat carrier bag
10. Catch up on CQA 52 blocks
11. Catch up on Sparrow blocks
12. Make RSC blocks for Aug 19
13. Woodland kid's quilt
14. Quilter's planner blocks
15. In from the cold block
16. Make more of Marge's blocks
17. Organize for Sept workshop for log cabin QOVC
18. Make more hourglass blocks
19 Stitch some blocks for Canada Stitches
20 Teal block swap
21 Missouri star Diamond chain
22 Abby quilt guild fat quarter winnings
23 Harper
 

There are some projects on the list that I am not motivated to work on and they are true UFO's but others are just me procrastinating with the best of intentions to finish them.  Many of the things on this list are a one day, get it done, project!!  And there are still 29 days left!
I have some odd jobs that need to be done around the house and my pile of quilt tops to be quilted is totally current with two on hangers so am hoping to spend time playing around with some new ideas as well as work on the 'old' stuff.
* update, Aug 14 - added a few more projects for August that weren't on my original list.

No comments:

Post a Comment